Author Topic: How to make tomato puree Indian restaurant way @ Latifs Indian  (Read 7739 times)

Offline ChickenTroll

• Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to make tomato puree Indian restaurant way @ Latifs Indian
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Have you ever wondered why they spice up their tomato puree like this? I have as it's a fairly common practice but I can't understand why. After all every dish they apply it to must have its own spicing already. Right?

Also you'll notice he's trying to be a lot more accurate with his measurements ... even if it is a 400g (mL?) tomato can! I think the word's got to him.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:36 PM »
It's an interesting point but these days I rarely if ever add tomato to a curry (probably because I have had too many bad experiences of BIRs making their curries so tomatoey that I don't enjoy them) so I may never get to find out in practice.  But I have to say, I like his style of presentation

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Thank you for posting this ChickenTroll  ;)

I posted about the tomato Puree in Latif's Base Gravy, compared to in his curries and whilst I now know he uses KTC Paste rather than KTC chopped tomatoes (which I use) and ends up with 700ml from a 400g tin for the curry, I am still guessing at the Base Gravy.

Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.  Still, he is getting better and I am actually interested in watching the curry he mentions at the end.  East End products as well.

Thank you.
BAJ

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.

I thought it but didn't want to get accused of being negative!

But I have to say, I like his style of presentation

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:13 PM »
He adds a dessertspoon of something right after the oil. Is it chopped garlic, or garlic paste?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:15 PM »
At the end he mentions only garlic, but I suspect that it is g/g.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07 PM »
He adds a dessertspoon of something right after the oil. Is it chopped garlic, or garlic paste?

It's definitely just garlic, He's stated it twice as I pointed out in my second post on this page http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15069.10

As to whether it's chopped or pureed, I'd guess from the way it sticks to the spoon but also the way it looks sort of chopped that it's probably roughly chopped (in a blender/chopper thingy). I'm pretty sure that garlic puree is all that's needed here though.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12 PM »
I'll watch this video in few hours time but I made up a small amount yesterday of my own design and I will say it was pretty tasty stuff before I used it to make the Latif's Inspired base. I used 1 Tbsp oil to cook 2 cloves crushed garlic (fresh) then added some whole GM spices and cooked briefly (Tejpat,  cardamom, clove, black pepper, cassia bark).  Then added 200 ml of passata and 2 Tbsp of 3X concentrate paste (puree) with a 1 cup of water and pinch salt which I then simmered for 30 minutes topping up with additional water. I ended up with about 1.5 - 2 cups.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.

I thought it but didn't want to get accused of being negative!

But I have to say, I like his style of presentation

©2024 Curry Recipes