• February 18, 2019, 04:56 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: How to make tomato puree Indian restaurant way @ Latifs Indian  (Read 515 times)

Offline ChickenTroll

• Trainee Chef
  • Love Chicken, Love Curry.
Hi everyone enjoy.
PoppyPhall

Offline Secret Santa

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
Re: How to make tomato puree Indian restaurant way @ Latifs Indian
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Have you ever wondered why they spice up their tomato puree like this? I have as it's a fairly common practice but I can't understand why. After all every dish they apply it to must have its own spicing already. Right?

Also you'll notice he's trying to be a lot more accurate with his measurements ... even if it is a 400g (mL?) tomato can! I think the word's got to him.
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:36 PM »
It's an interesting point but these days I rarely if ever add tomato to a curry (probably because I have had too many bad experiences of BIRs making their curries so tomatoey that I don't enjoy them) so I may never get to find out in practice.  But I have to say, I like his style of presentation — to my eyes, honest, straightforward and genuine.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Chef
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Thank you for posting this ChickenTroll  ;)

I posted about the tomato Puree in Latif's Base Gravy, compared to in his curries and whilst I now know he uses KTC Paste rather than KTC chopped tomatoes (which I use) and ends up with 700ml from a 400g tin for the curry, I am still guessing at the Base Gravy.

Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.  Still, he is getting better and I am actually interested in watching the curry he mentions at the end.  East End products as well.

Thank you.
BAJ

If you can learn something new and have a laugh, the day has not been wasted.

Offline Secret Santa

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.

I thought it but didn't want to get accused of being negative!

But I have to say, I like his style of presentation — to my eyes, honest, straightforward and genuine.

I agree.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Guns 'n' Roses have Slash but our guitarist's Pish
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:13 PM »
He adds a dessertspoon of something right after the oil. Is it chopped garlic, or garlic paste?
a legend in his own lunchtime

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:15 PM »
At the end he mentions only garlic, but I suspect that it is g/g.
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Secret Santa

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07 PM »
He adds a dessertspoon of something right after the oil. Is it chopped garlic, or garlic paste?

It's definitely just garlic, He's stated it twice as I pointed out in my second post on this page http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15069.10

As to whether it's chopped or pureed, I'd guess from the way it sticks to the spoon but also the way it looks sort of chopped that it's probably roughly chopped (in a blender/chopper thingy). I'm pretty sure that garlic puree is all that's needed here though.

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12 PM »
I'll watch this video in few hours time but I made up a small amount yesterday of my own design and I will say it was pretty tasty stuff before I used it to make the Latif's Inspired base. I used 1 Tbsp oil to cook 2 cloves crushed garlic (fresh) then added some whole GM spices and cooked briefly (Tejpat,  cardamom, clove, black pepper, cassia bark).  Then added 200 ml of passata and 2 Tbsp of 3X concentrate paste (puree) with a 1 cup of water and pinch salt which I then simmered for 30 minutes topping up with additional water. I ended up with about 1.5 - 2 cups.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Madrasandy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Since Latif is being so accurate, why oh why use that Balti dish for the water, why not chuck that in a measuring jug, say what it is and pour that in.

I thought it but didn't want to get accused of being negative!

But I have to say, I like his style of presentation — to my eyes, honest, straightforward and genuine.

I agree.
Well go and make it, report your findings and then maybe you'll have contributed to the forum, rather than nit picking on mine or anybody else's comments.
You cant beat the heat

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: