Author Topic: Highly requested Chicken Tikka Masala restaurant style@Latifs inspired.  (Read 8504 times)

Offline ChickenTroll

• Chef
    • View Profile

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Another interesting video and I really enjoy his work. However, he is clearly (and openly) not demonstrating his restaurant style CTM or other dishes.  This is another hybrid traditional homestyle dish cooked in a commercial kitchen.  I'm now asking why he showed making the base gravy and then follows up with curries that don't use it.  These dishes he shows may well be very nice but it is not as expected or claimed, ie; not restaurant style.

Even after I convert to restaurant style, it won't be his restaurant served dish. I'm afraid I won't be visiting to taste his secret family take on the CTM.

Can anybody explain the green colour of his g&g paste?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:17 PM by livo »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Can anybody explain the green colour of his g&g paste?

From my post many years ago:

And the blue/green question. Well garlic contains compounds called anthocyanins which are plant pigments. They act as pH indicators, i.e. they change colour depending on the degree of alkalinity or acidity of the surrounding medium. This is why some people get bright green base sauce and some do not, it depends on the type and amount of onions and salt and even the nature of your local water amongst other things.

Also garlic is high in sulphur compounds which react with copper from the pan or the water to form copper sulphate which is blue.

As far as I know these compounds are totally safe in the quantities in which they occur in curry cooking.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Latif,

I am sorry if I am going to be a bit critical here but 'Delli Beli' and other names for food poisoning exist because of bad food preparation techniques and should be called out.
00:30, handling raw chicken and then picking up cooked/marinated chicken pieces!

You shoud really edit out 16:38 - 18:02 as it comes from a different pan and looks nothing like the CTM you cooked but it also looks like you over season with salt.

On a peronal note, it also looks different to the CTM I have had at local restaurants, not something I would have ordered a second time.
BAJ

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Bob-A-Job, unless ChickenTroll is Latif incognito  8), I don't think he is a member of this forum. He may view it as a guest though.  At this point, until we know differently, suggestions and criticisms directed to him would be better done using the actual Youtube comments on his individual video pages.

I will not argue that poor handling and storage of raw chicken is a major cause of food poisoning but I disagree with you on the point you make in this instance. The cooked chicken tikka pieces he picked up and shows are pre-cooks destined to the curry pan for his actual restaurant style CTM.  In this case they will be further cooked and heated to a temperature that will kill any bacteria transferred. If he had handled the raw chicken and then cut up a salad or handled some tikka that's going directly onto a plate, I would support your view.  I have this argument with my wife all the time.  There is no risk of bacteria transfer from raw chicken to other food, if, and only if, that other food is going to be cooked afterwards.

As for the segment you want edited out, I again disagree. These little insights into the real restaurant kitchen operations are a valuable source of other learning and I consider them to be an additional bonus.  A freeby if you like.  In the early days of this forum, such glimpses of a working BIR kitchen would have been like finding gold nuggets.

SS, I've never seen it but I'll take your word for it.  I thought he may be adding some fresh coriander to his G&G paste.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:09 PM by livo »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Another interesting video and I really enjoy his work. However, he is clearly (and openly) not demonstrating his restaurant style CTM or other dishes.  This is another hybrid traditional homestyle dish cooked in a commercial kitchen.  I'm now asking why he showed making the base gravy and then follows up with curries that don't use it.  These dishes he shows may well be very nice but it is not as expected or claimed, ie; not restaurant style.

Some of us called that out right from the start: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15068.msg132334#msg132334 - I still see no reason to expect that he's going to share any of his real restaurant recipes with us, he is simply marketing his brand and possibly making these recipes up on the fly, thinking the YouTube viewers will know no better anyway. 

Green G&G paste is probably because he's making it with water added instead of oil. 

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
You certainly did Sverige. I read your comment at the time.  I do still find his videos enjoyable to watch, useful and well done, even if wrongly titled and falsely giving the impression they are his actual restaurant recipes.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Folks, it would be beneficial to revisit this the above mentioned video, it would appear he had edditing problems, whereby he left sections of the recipe out, he has now ammended this error through the comments section, these additions would have a significant impact on the finished dish

Regards pap rika

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
A further correction would be the amount of tikka marinade paste, at 2.35 he adds 2 tablespoons, yet later when summerizing the quantity at 2.55 wrongly claims half a teaspoon. A simple mistake, remember he's new to this, so don't be hard on him.

Regards pap rika

Offline ChickenTroll

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi everyone the updated information.

©2024 Curry Recipes