Author Topic: Highly requested Chicken Tikka Masala restaurant style@Latifs inspired.  (Read 8508 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I had already noted the summarising error he made referring to the paste but worth pointing out pap rika.

As for the other editing error, my memory tells that he deliberately omitted these ingredients in the first edition video of the demonstrated dish. He showed them in the bins and mentioned using them in the customer orders but actually said while you could use them he wasn't going to in this dish.

Maybe it has been changed as an afterthought or perhaps it didn't work without them.

Another thing worth mentioning is, and it may be different in UK, but as I found out here a few years ago, that the catering sized jars of Pataks paste and the home sized jars from the supermarket are not the same. Even if I could by all 4 Pataks pastes, I would not buy 8 kg to make a CTM. There is a caterers / hospitality supplies warehouse in Newcastle that sells commercial jars but it would take years to use them at home.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:44 PM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Another thing worth mentioning is, and it may be different in UK, but as I found out here a few years ago, that the catering sized jars of Pataks paste and the home sized jars from the supermarket are not the same.

Chalk / cheese.

Even if I could by all 4 Pataks pastes, I would not buy 8 kg to make a CTM. There is a caterers / hospitality supplies warehouse in Newcastle that sells commercial jars but it would take years to use them at home.

There is (it seems to me) sufficient interest in BIR in Oz that it might well be worth your while buying the catering packs, then re-packaging them in smaller quanties and flogging them on Ebay.  WDYT ?

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Either that or I can just use different brand, but then it's different. I already know the Patak's range of pastes is not fully available here. I've tried finding them previously.  Ashoka pastes are now quite readily available and the small jar pastes are the same as the big jars. I bought Vindaloo the other day.  Fern's, Bolst's, Sharwood and Deep brand pastes are also available here.  I can improvise and we aren't making the actual restaurant dish anyway, so it really won't matter. Purely academic.

For the other Aussies.
Unilever Food Solutions (Aust) supply only these paste products to the Australian market in commercial quantity containers branded Knorr with Patak's a secondary brand. Available via online or from commercial suppliers.  Most varieties are available in small jars from supermarkets branded only Patak's but I don't know if they are the same pastes.
]https://www.unileverfoodsolutions.com.au/search-results.html?q=Patak%27s+Paste&ptp=0&tp=0]
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=Patak%27s%20Paste

Knorr Patak's Pastes (approx 1.1 kg).  Shelf life 24 mths. Once opened use within 6 mths. Do not refrigerate.
Mild Curry  (Not available in small jars.) (I bought one of these years ago and really enjoyed it). Korma, Vindaloo, Tandoori, Butter Chicken, Madras, Rogan Josh.
A Tikka Masala Paste is not supplied in commercial size but is in small jar.  A Balti Paste used to be available in small jar but no longer.  The Kashmiri and Madras Kebab pastes used in this video recipe are not available at all.  Kashmiri anything is very rare in Australia.

Unilever also supply Knorr Patak's "Ready to use Simmer Sauces" in 2.2 litre containers.
Butter Chicken, Rogan Josh, Tikka Masala, Korma and Mango Chicken.  The Patak's brand supermarket range has all these plus a Light Butter Chicken and a Cashew and Coconut.  I haven't used a ready to use simmer sauce in many years and didn't really rate them.  The Mango Chicken is nothing like the restaurant versions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:37 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Using his Base Gravy and done Restaurant style it would go something like this (very roughly for a single serve).

Assumptions.
Onion provided by base gravy.
Individual ground spices replaced by mixed powder. Possibly add extra chilli to adjust heat.
Some spicing from Base Gravy. (It is a flavorsome gravy)
Some flavor from Chicken Tikka instead of marinated raw chicken.

Prep
1 serve of Pre-cooked Chicken Tikka (or other chicken)
Make up the yogurt / paste masala as per video but only about 1/4 - 1/3 required per serve (depending on size of serve)

Season 1 chef's spoon oil or ghee with 1 Bay leaf, 1 or 2 crushed green cardamom, a couple of black peppercorns and a small piece of Cassia Bark.
2 tsp G&G paste
1.5 - 2 tsp Mixed Powder
Salt to taste
Base gravy (in stages as required)
At some point 2 TBSP almond powder, 1 TBSP coconut powder, 1 TBSP sugar or jaggery. 1 tsp Kasoori Methi.
1/4 - 1/3 of the Red Masala

top with the roasted cashews and garnish with cream.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:28 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hybrid of the hybrid.
I've used Latif's chicken quarters on the bone but then used his base gravy and a mixed powder and done in the more restaurant style.  Must say it's looking and smelling pretty good.
As you can see I used 4 different brand masala pastes and powder for the red yogurt sauce, none of them Patak's.

©2024 Curry Recipes