Author Topic: Recipe Book Suggestions?  (Read 12890 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Camellia Panjabis 50 favourite curries of India is a must. I don't feel that it over concentrates on Lamb dishes as it has a lot of chicken, fish and vegetable dishes within.

It is currently in its third (I believe) incarnation and comes with a DVD in side the front cover.

Although the book is my absolute favourited be warned that the recipes include a number of typos and need to be read carefully. I do not know if the current edition has edited out the typos and errors but I do have the first edition and the second and certain errors are copied in both books.

You should also be aware that a number of recipes from the first edition did not appear in the second but were replaced by others as listed below

Out-Kebab Curry.
In-Lamb Korma Pilaf.
Out-Lamb Curry with stir-fried spices.
In-Lamb with herbs and black pepper.
Out-Minced lamb with coriander.
In-Lamb with plums.
In-Goa Lamb Vindaloo.
Out-Chicken Korma with coriander leaves.
In-Green Chicken Korma.
Out-Red Chicken Curry.
In-Parsee red Chicken Curry.
Out-Goa Pork Vindaloo
In-Malabar Prawn Curry.
In- Prawn with Spring Onions and Fenugreek.
Out-Fish in Mustard Gravy.
Out-Soya Kofta Curry
Out-Okra in Yoghurt.
Out-Kashmiri-style Potato Curry.
In-Pineapple Curry.
In-Creamy Potato Curry

If you do a google search on the web or on google newsgroups you can find a number of the recipes that appear in the book(s) for you to sample.

TC

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Ive got the version just before the dvd version and I have to say, great pictures and a great read but too many typos and ingredients that just dont get used!

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 05:11 PM »
The link below leads to a few recipes that are in Camellia Panjabis book and amply illustrate the typos and errors that are replicated in the book.

If you look at the recipe for the Chicken stew you are advised to Blend together the onions and green chillies. After blending them they are never again called upon. I presume you blend them and then leave them on the side until you do the washing up and throw them away.

http://www.uppercrustindia.com/10crust/ten/rec2.htm

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 06:03 PM »
HuHummm are we not drifting off topic  ??? ::) ;D

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Can you guys tell me which editions/years you ended up with?  I haven't got around to ordering my copy yet.  There are various editions and years available.  I gather the Mills & Boon printing is the original, and the Weathervane/etc. copies are reprints.  Are the reprints any good?  Also, apparently extra recipes were added after 1975, so I guess that sort of limits the choices available...

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 11:28 AM »
You should also be aware that a number of recipes from the first edition did not appear in the second but were replaced by others as listed below

My copy is fairly new, and it still has the "old" recipes in it.  I see there's a tenth anniversary edition on sale now which seems to have the new recipes.  It's cheap enough that I may as well pick up a copy for some new recipes.

I doubt they've fixed any of the editing errors from the other editions.  I like to call it the "mystery ingredient".  In the pistachio korma it's the cream, which you apparently measure out and never use.  In the Sylheti red chicken curry you're told to put the tomatoes in, put the chicken in and brown it, then put the tomatoes in again.  It's pretty bad that errors like that have survived through so many editions.  Oh well, the recipes are pretty damn good if you pay attention and don't add the ~50 gallons of stock each one calls for.

I'm also going to grab a copy of "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking".  Unfortunately, amazon.ca doesnt' sell it, so I will have to order from amazon.com, but it seems interesting enough to warrant it.  My dad is quite interested in Indian vegetarian cooking now.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23 AM »
I managed a look at the latest edition. a number of the errors have been rectified but not all.

TC

©2024 Curry Recipes