• February 18, 2019, 05:02 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: 1st curry  (Read 177 times)

Offline Urbansnooper

• Trainee Chef
1st curry
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Hi all

I have made a base sauce/gravy and got plenty frozen ready. I'm going to attempt my first curry this weekend after I go for more supplies but not sure what to try first. Just out of interest, what was everyones first curry and how did it turn out ?

Cheers
 Rich
a little more chilli and it will be just right

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
Re: 1st curry
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:02 AM »
[W]hat was everyones first curry and how did it turn out ?

My first curry was a mutton curry, cooked at my then girlfriend's home in Smethwick, and was a complete and utter disaster (and probably totally inedible to boot).  I'm truly sorry you reminded me of it, even if it was 50 years ago !

But for your first curry, I would recommend going for something very simple such as a Madras

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Urbansnooper

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 12:01 PM »
[W]hat was everyones first curry and how did it turn out ?

My first curry was a mutton curry, cooked at my then girlfriend's home in Smethwick, and was a complete and utter disaster (and probably totally inedible to boot).  I'm truly sorry you reminded me of it, even if it was 50 years ago !

But for your first curry, I would recommend going for something very simple such as a Madras

** Phil.

Haha, cheers
good job im not a lover of lamb or mutton then !! lol
madras sounds a good call to me :-)

Rich
a little more chilli and it will be just right

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
  • Guns 'n' Roses have Slash but our guitarist's Pish
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:35 PM »
I think going for a simple curry without too many additional ingredients helps to hone your technique. A simple medium curry, a Dupiaza or as Phil says, a Madras would be ideal.
a legend in his own lunchtime

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • The Westberry Hotel & Restaurant
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Haha, cheers.  good job i'm not a lover of lamb or mutton then !! lol.  madras sounds a good call to me :)

Oh, don't blame the mutton (which may well have been goat for all I know — it came from a non-English=speaking Halal butcher somewhere on the Hagley Road), blame the chef — he didn't have the slightest idea what he was doing !   I made a lamb curry last night, and it was (and still is) gorgeous — a man can learn a lot in fifty years, if he is not too proud to admit that he will never know everything ...

** Phil.

P.S.  The more lamb curries I cook (and eat), the more convinced I become that one should be able to tell, virtually from the first mouthful, whether one is eating lamb or generic "meat".  Which leads me to wonder, rather sadly, just how few (as opposed to just how many) lamb curries I have actualy eaten (out) over the last (say) 20 years ,,,
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:35 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: