Author Topic: Where have the old posts gone to?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Where have the old posts gone to?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:03 PM »
So far my reading about Bunjarra / onion paste shows it is time consuming to make and tricky to achieve a good result.

Time consuming, yes. But tricky? If you consider caramelising onions tricky, because essentially that's all it is, then yes. Otherwise not. I don't bother with any fancy version I just use well caramelised onions blended finely.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I hadn't considered that Phil. Good idea. I just thought it may have been what SS was looking for but it's blocked and I'd not encountered this before.

Tom, as always, proved exceptionally helpful, and the relevant material is now de-archived and back online.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Thanks Phil and Tom. I knew all was not right.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Great work Phil and thanks Admin. 

SS I haven't found it tricky as I haven't tried (yet), but my view from reading all the posts is that several others did. Onions cut too small or blended beforehand, too much water, not hot enough, instantaneous transition to burnt, bitterness, wrong brand of Tandoori Masala, etc etc. There also seemed to be a confusion between frying and caramelisation.

JerryM really experimented and at one point considered this to be the goods, but then toned it down to being an optional inclusion. Still, he rated it which is what makes me think it's worth a try at least.  I will definitely not be able to obtain TRS Masala.

As I've said, this is similar to Mm's paste, which I've made a couple of times now quite easily, but it is also a long cooking time process

©2024 Curry Recipes