Author Topic: Curry with Kris Dhillon's Base  (Read 2336 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Curry with Kris Dhillon's Base
« on: February 03, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Can't leave this book completely alone
Every now and then I do another recipe
This time it's Saag Paneer
I made the Paneer too (recipe in the book)
The picture shows what you how much paneer you get
I used 2 litres for that, so it's not much of a yield
You have to weigh down the curds to make them solid
Reckon they use a lot more pressure when it's made commercially
My paneer was sort of light and fluffy!
I pre deep fried it (like they do in the takeaways)
It didn't half bubble in the oil!
I made Kris's base in my big pot
Very good pot that
The spinach was canned (as per recipe)

I always finish of the poppadoms in the oven
It really does make a big difference
If you haven't done it before then try it
They turn out less greasy and it adds an extra layer of flavour

the naans were made in my tandoor
Paul Clearey's recipe (Pacman and it's on this site)

served with raita, mango chutney and lime pickle  (only a quid at Morrisons at the moment)

very enjoyable curry

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curry with Kris Dhillon's Base
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I always finish of the poppadoms in the oven.  It really does make a big difference.  If you haven't done it before then try it.  They turn out less greasy and it adds an extra layer of flavour

Funnily enough, I was discussing that with Mrs Bari just last Saturday, and she insists on frying her popadom fresh for each client.  She knows that all the mainstream BIRs pre-cook them in bulk, then keep them in a warming oven, but she maintains that that destroys the delicacy of the flavour.  I sit somewhere between

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:55 PM »
the naans were made in my tandoor
Paul Clearey's recipe (Pacman and it's on this site)

Is that your go to recipe now Pete or were you just testing it? Edit: It's ok Pete I answered my own question by reading the thread here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1870.0   It also clearly shows that Chris nicked the recipe from Pacman. Bad Chris!

lime pickle  (only a quid at Morrisons at the moment)

Yes, it tends to do the rounds of the various supermarkets at
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:11 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:50 PM »
but if I find them too greasy, or make too many, then they go in a warm oven until they are crisp and dry.
* Phil.
yes not really sure what happens to the grease, it disappears. Guess it goes into the poppadom

as for the naan recipe, it's very hard to beat

The curry secret book is very controversial
so what people have made what recipes from it?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Her base; her chicken curry / Madras / vindaloo; her garam masala.  That's all (from memory) but I think she lays a very sound and firm foundation.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Another failure of memory for me. I would have sworn that my Eureka moment for obtaining the flavour of Dhansak I was used at that time was when I tried KD's version. But I just looked at the recipe and there's no sugar in it! What?

I can only think that I tried the recipe as is with the essential lemon juice, which is in the recipe, judged it lacking in sweetness and while adding and tasting came to that Eureka moment of perfect sweet/sour balance. I still think sugar and lemon juice are all that's required. And yes, believe me, I've tried every combination of sweetner and souring agent (I wanted to say sourer but that can't be right).

I've tried most of the other recipes but it's only the base that's stuck with me as I find her use of cumin too aggressive in the curries.

I entirely agree with you Phil that this book did set us on the path to real BIR cooking. There just wasn't anything like it at the time* and certainly no learned BIR forums to chat on. I'm pretty sure this is where I learned the blitzed base technique from, which, let's face it, is absolutely fundamental to BIR style curries and, up to that point, was a secret in essence.

*I pulled out my 1988 copy of Pat Chapman's Favourite Restaurant Curries to confirm that his "Curry Masala Gravy" which, despite him accurately describing the large pot of golden coloured gravy on every BIR stove, turns out to be a paste the way he cooks it. Why did he do it that way? I guess we'll never know.

©2024 Curry Recipes