• March 22, 2019, 09:23 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Curry Leaves  (Read 767 times)

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Leaves
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 12:18 PM »
I tried rooting powder, scratching the bark off, coating it in rooting powder, one stem i bought gave me a run and started to shoot buds but then died, i think the energy / food within the stem caused that, you might be right about my own plant, but that is providing me with my needs for now so i will leave it be.
I shall be cutting back a bit in march to stimulate new growth, last summer which was a good one it doubled in height.

Online chewytikka

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Great looking curry leaf tree you have there mickyp

Love to grow one myself, but its not going to happen.

I just have to rely on my local Asian Store.
@1.39GBP still cheap enough for its unique flavour.

Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Great looking curry leaf tree you have there mickyp

Love to grow one myself, but its not going to happen.

I just have to rely on my local Asian Store.
@1.39GBP still cheap enough for its unique flavour.

Thank you,

It was one of those things that through a gauntlet down for me, buying the fresh leaves and thinking could i grow my own, so i looked into it.
After trying to grow cuttings i bought one about 10 ins high for £15, it just seemed a fun thing to try, i bought some citrus feed which it gets in its water, I lost about 6 ins off the top when it got knocked into the fishpond by the nephews playing football, and scale insect which was i think from originally living in the conservatory. Treated that and it goes into our cabin during the winter / frost.
Last year it thrived and produced a clutch of berries, these were late and didnt mature.

Unless your way up norf you could get one and grow it if you have the time lol, i did have to shut my eyes the first time i cut a sprig off to cook though  :(

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Cut my tree back and harvested some leaves, hopefully new growth will kick in over the next month or so

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Cutting, rooted using turmeric, fingies crossed

Online livo

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 09:14 PM »
That looks a viable cutting. It may help to leave 1 or 2 leaves on the top side shoots. These will allow some photosynthesis to continue. Too many though is no good as you'd know. Did you only use Turmeric below ground?  A dab of Turmeric paste on the exposed cut surfaces is also beneficial to promote healing over and reduce risk of disease, mold or fungus attack.

I planted about a dozen seeds yesterday.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Thanks for that Livo, i didnt know that about the tumeric paste, i will take that on board.

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Well i hope the earth tremor that shook our house last night didn't upset twiglet the baby curry leaf tree,

Online mickyp

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Curry leaf cutting 22 days on,

Livo to answer your question which i somehow missed yes i used just Tumeric as a rooting powder nothing else, i also used soil from the garden rather than potting compost, firstly it gives more physical support and has no added nutrients, i wanted the cutting to root which i think its more likely to do if its hungry.
I also brought the cutting in and placed the pot on a heat mat to warm the soil, apparently that encourages root growth, its far from tropical here lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:31 PM by mickyp »

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: