Author Topic: Flour for Naans  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Flour for Naans
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 09:57 PM »
I think such a long delay may just be a quirk that some have tried and stuck with.

I frequently fear that much of the received BIR wisdom is no more than mere "quirk(s) that some have tried and stuck with" ...
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Give the SAF recipe a try as well.

Which one is that? These pseudo-acronyms are a curse at times. Even if I do liberally scatter them myself.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Not being funny, but all the debates about flours, baking powder, yeast etc to me seem a bit pointless.

As Phil points out, the most successful and IMHO best BIR style Naans on here are the Happy Chris ones.

Have a read through this for confirmation.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=12589.0

SR flour and baking powder, no yeast anywhere in sight.

Maybe Naans in AIR are a bit different?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Quite possibly AIR is different Martinvic but I'd be surprised if this were the case with naan. H4ppy's naan is without doubt popular, but try it without the additional Baking Powder and I'd agree it is a good naan. The additional baking powder provides nothing but negative impact in my opinion. I'd also argue that the "essential" 24 hour rest in the refrigerator is not required and these naan could be cooked in far less time with no loss of characteristic at all.

Have you tried the SAF Naan? British recipe and the closest I've come to the naan in the shops out here.  So far those who have tried it and reported back have agreed it is a very good naan.  A small group so far, I'll agree.  (being only a sample of 1 plus myself.   ;D Still waiting on ScottyM to report back I see.)  I've tried the 2 different naan side by side as well as variations to each, along with many other recipes.  I don't think H4ppy's naan as given are all that amazing at all.

A big thumbs-up from me for posting this naan bread recipe link, livo! I followed the recipe under the video (almost!) to the letter by preparing the ferment and then combining the rest of the ingredients the following day.

I did a test run last night using one dough ball on the gas hob using a shallow non-stick Tefal crepe pan and a blowtorch to char the top, It was an complete success - the best naan bread I have ever achieved! It was light, fluffy and very tasty.

...... as I'll be making these naans again and again. Highly recommended!

Now thats a proper Naan.

Never been a fan of the self raising flour and baking powder version. I want my bread fermented and easy to digest.
I will make this tomorrow with a Poolish (pre ferment) and cook it in my Electric pizza oven. Will upload some photos and my thoughts after

There a mainly 3 alternative methods of providing rise to a naan (or other baked products). Yeast, baking powder or self-raising flour.  Almost always, there is absolutely no need or benefit in using a combination of any 2.  There are exceptions but naan isn't one.  In the case of additional baking powder added to self raising flour in a naan, in my opinion, the end result is contaminated by excessive baking powder and it can be tasted and / or felt in the mouth, 

Qualifying statement: This effect of excessive baking powder sensitivity is found in some people but not all.  I am one such person with this sensitivity. 

If I prepare H4ppy Chris naan to spec., I get a terrible metallic zing after-taste. I have experimented using non-aluminium baking powder and home made baking powder but it is present every time. Using just SR flour without additional baking powder and home made SR flour, at 3 % baking powder, does not provide that same sensitivity. I make my own conclusions based on my own experiences.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:38 PM by livo »

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 01:03 AM »
Sorry Livo, but why would I want to change a perfectly good recipe, that has worked every time I have made it?

Haven't read through the whole thread again, but can't remember anyone else saying the baking powder gave them a bad taste. Too much sugar or no salt in it are the only two things I can remember being said. Plus I think it was said in that thread that the waiting times could be reduced,

Not knocking your Naan recipes, they obviously work for you and a couple of others, but I think I can safely say that the Happy Chris ones have been the most successful and the goto recipe for most on here.

I do like reading your posts, but have to admit some of your conclusions I,m not sure on because you have no baseline in actually eating BIR food to compare with.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:01 AM by martinvic »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 01:31 AM »
No argument from me. :)

But don't take my word for it  MV.  Google search for "Baking Powder aftertaste" or "Baking Powder metallic taste".  Invariably you will find reference to it being caused by the addition of too much baking powder without sufficient ingredients to compensate and neutralise it.  The amount of baking powder included in ready made Self Raising flour has been determined as the optimal proportion for good reason.

Another search on "Baking Powder sensitivity" will show that it also is a known occurrence in some people. 

All I'm saying is that H4ppy Chris' recipe, as is, didn't ring my bell. I've watched the video multiple times, but it wasn't recently, and I think your right about the lesser wait time if necessary.  I'd hoped it was what I wanted but it didn't turn out that way, whereas the SAF recipe produced a result that is on par with the naan I enjoy way down here.  If your after the rich fluffy gooey texture then go with all dairy and put an egg in it. Naan cakes.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:45 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes