Author Topic: Pulled Chicken Burrito filling  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Pulled Chicken Burrito filling
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:27 PM »
It was time for me to make one of my family staples (well for my son and me anyway) and I would like to share.

I know a lot of this is not 'cooking' and shop bought but I find it consistent to use these products, you don't have to.

Ingredients

1kg Chicken Breast
1 tablespoon hot chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
3 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
300g Hot Salsa Sauce (you can make your own but for consistency I use shop bought jars)
about 200ml-300ml of cold water (enough to cover the chicken)

Method

I mix all the powders together.
Place the chicken in an oven proof dish, pour half of the mix over them to coat.
Turn the chicken over and coat the other side with the last of the mix.
Pour the salsa over the chicken evenly.
Pour the water over until the chicken is covered (too little and the breast may dry out or burn, too much and you just have to cook longer)
Cover and place in the oven at 180C (350F, Gas Mark 4) for 1.5hrs.
Take from the oven and using a couple of strong forks begin to 'pull the chicken breast apart'.
Return to the oven and over the next 1-1.5hrs repeat pulling the breast apart until you are happy (Don't let it dry out but add water sparingly).
Eat hot in wraps, store in a sealed container in the Fridge for upto 7 days or freeze in small qty's for upto 3 months (depending on how much you want to use per serving - always reheat thoroughly to piping hot before wrapping).

Serving suggestions

I use Plain white flour wraps.
I take 4-5 heaped tablespoons of the chicken and I mix in Mature grated Cheddar cheese (as little/much as you like), heat and stir until the cheese is beginning to melt.
Add other things such as cooked rice (warmed), thin sliced strips of Green and Red Peppers, Spinach leaves, the list is endless.
Spoon out all of the fillings onto the wraps (depends how much you have added and how much filling you want in each) and fold.
I then warm the filled wraps in a microwave (timings will vary depending on your microwave's power rating and the number of wraps; 3 wraps at 700w go in for 1 minute).

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled Chicken Burrito filling
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:45 PM »
Bob, that looks really delicious.  Mexican night is a regular at my place and finding a good balanced seasoning is crucial.  Too spicy is a disaster as the sensitive people can't enjoy it. Too bland and nobody can.  I always prefer to make my own spice mix up as I'm not a fan of the shop bought sachets.

Your spices are identical to the ones I use in my Taco seasoning but your proportional ratio is different.  This is probably a good thing to experiment with as my family usually tell me my spice mix is too spicy on heat.

I look forward to giving this a try.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00 AM »
Thank you Livo,

I like the spice but as you say, others don't. I add the cheese in a greater degree for those that prefer less heat and vice versa.  I also find it helps to 'bind' the filling and soak up some of the water released from fresh vegetables but it does depend on the cheese as some can release quite a bit of oil themselves when melted.

I have used more Oregano and Cumin in the past but toned them both down so as to not be overpowering.

I hope you enjoy and I hope everyone will let me know what you think/would suggest different.  I have never found 'the perfect' recipe for anything as we are all different but I love trying.

BAJ

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:17 AM »
I've been using this formula that I found on the Celtnet.org site.  As you can see it is the same spices but different ratio's. This one is quite heavy on chilli and needs to be used sparingly for the timid.  I only use about 1 or 2 tsp of it for a mix using 500 g of minced beef, 1 diced onion and some tomato of any type, paste, puree, passatta or tinned crushed, whatever I have to hand.

This is a traditional Mexican recipe for a classic blend of spices typically used with tacos and other Mexican dishes.
Ingredients:
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:13 AM »
Check this out Bob.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15008.msg131502#msg131502

I'll see if I can locate the site that I have used for Beef Nachos (cheese sauce, Guacamole and pico de galo). I lost a heap of bookmarks recently when a Microsoft update wiped out Edge browser.  Doh!. Stupid me for using MS I guess.  Luckily I hand wrote the recipes down anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:55 PM by livo »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:02 PM »
lovely, I've been craving Tex-Mex for the last couple of weeks. I do like a couple of squares of dark chocolate in the sauce.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:32 PM »
This is a traditional Mexican recipe for a classic blend of spices typically used with tacos and other Mexican dishes.
Ingredients:
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Found it. https://www.recipetineats.com/ripper-beef-nachos/comment-page-1/

Really good fully loaded nachos.  ;) I tried these and was very pleased with the result.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled Chicken Burrito filling/Nachos
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Now you got me again.

In the warmer months (soon), I make Nacho's by the plate (11" plates) but very simple, Chilli chips, hot salsa sauce, chopped chillis (usually my home grown, hence the timing of when I make the plates), thin sliced cheddar and topped with Mozzarella, oven baked for 30 minutes on a low heat and served with Sour Cream and chive dip.  If I remember this thread, the next time I make a plate, I will eloborate and maybe add a picture or two.  For now, my mouth is watering and realising I don't have all the ingredients.  Thanks!  ;)

BAJ

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 09:13 PM »
I'm going to do your pulled chicken today Bob. I'll let you know how it goes with my son as the tester. Of course I'll be trying is as well. ;)

Maybe tomorrow. I'm just cleaning out the fridges and I have many leftovers needing to be eaten, so it would be wasteful to cook more today. The problem of downsizing when family are not around as much.  I like to cook but I still do so in large quantity for multiple people and when they aren't here I end up with way too much.  It was easy when they were all still at home.  Now I sometimes don't know if it will be just me a Mrs L or a table for 8.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:58 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes