• September 19, 2019, 09:24 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Growing time disappointment  (Read 2896 times)

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Growing time disappointment
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Nicely coming on, JonG if your seeds are in seedling pots the above pic shows the ideal size  for you to pot on into 3" pots.

Garp i find it fascinating that as i get older growing stuff becomes more enjoyable, esp from seed and cuttings, its like one is creating something, and no i have no interest at the moment in feeding Daisies  :)

Offline JonG

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Great picture there Garp and I’m impressed with such rapid progress if you only planted them a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I should wait a bit before I plant mine as I can see them getting to a point where they should move outside, but maybe the frosts will still be around.

Thanks for the info Mickey, I will start them in small pots and then move them carefully.  I read online it’s a good idea to start the seeds in damp kitchen paper in a warm cupboard until they sprout, so you don’t waste time with dead seeds.

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Great picture there Garp and I’m impressed with such rapid progress if you only planted them a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I should wait a bit before I plant mine as I can see them getting to a point where they should move outside, but maybe the frosts will still be around.

Thanks for the info Mickey, I will start them in small pots and then move them carefully.  I read online it’s a good idea to start the seeds in damp kitchen paper in a warm cupboard until they sprout, so you don’t waste time with dead seeds.

Yep i tried that two years ago with Dorset Naga seeds i bought on eBay, i think the important thing is stable moisture and temperature, some chilli seeds like it nice and warm, and keep watching for the leaves to show so you can get them into the light.
This winter i think i will get a small underfloor heating kit, foam insulation board, self levelling compound and make my own tray.

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Chilli Plug plants should be available in march, thats how i got my Dorset Naga's last year, i bought three, two of which didnt do well because the holes in the pots were too smalland didn't drain, they are currently all cut back to the stem in a cabin in the garden, hopefully come march they will liven up, easier to grow than from seed imo.

Update, all three have gone to chilli heaven :( i will try to overwinter again this year.

Online Garp

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Garp i find it fascinating that as i get older growing stuff becomes more enjoyable, esp from seed and cuttings, its like one is creating something

I agree, Micky, but I also think you have to have a naturally inquisitive mind (or maybe that inquisitiveness comes more with age). As in my cooking, I like to try to create something from scratch using the most basic building blocks. That is why I don't like using commercial pastes/powders in my BIR (unless I have previously managed to replicate said paste/powder from scratch).

Maybe I should wait a bit before I plant mine as I can see them getting to a point where they should move outside, but maybe the frosts will still be around.

I'm no expert, Jon, but I'd be getting them started asap, to give you more chance of them producing fruit.

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44 PM »
As Garp say's get them underway to get the fruit, i gave in and just ordered a heat mat on Ebay for just over £11, on monday some chillies will be coming out of the freezer for the seeds

Online Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 10:44 AM »
As Garp say's get them underway to get the fruit, i gave in and just ordered a heat mat on Ebay for just over £11, on monday some chillies will be coming out of the freezer for the seeds

Your using frozen seeds ?
You cant beat the heat

Online Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 10:56 AM »
This years
You cant beat the heat

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Their looking good, what are they?

Frozen, yep quite a few gardening type forums said no probs, + RHS store frozen seeds for future use, so i will post how they get on.

Online Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 11:14 AM »
The larger chillies are superhots, E Naga, some naga crosses, original 7 pot, fatalii, SRTSL, BOC, Nepalese naga, the seedlings are Kashmiri, finger, jalapeño and peppercini
You cant beat the heat

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: