Author Topic: Tandoori Masala ("Tandoori Spice Mix")  (Read 50939 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Masala ("Tandoori Spice Mix")
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 10:50 PM »
What would you say would be a good amount - 1/4 TSP or maybe 1/8 TSP?

In what Ramirez?  This recipe calls for 2tsp red plus 1 tsp yellow?

If you then use this tandoori masala to make a marinade or paste, or you add it in, say, a tikka masala recipe, you shouldn't need to add any more colouring.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:09 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 11:05 PM »

... the instructions on the back state that the colouring should be not added directly to food. It also gives instructions on how to make a master solution (using water).

Ignore those instructions Ramirez you can add to any food you are cooking but the point is you make it part of your masala (spice mix) and when you mix it with yoghurt, garlic chili etc to marinade your chicken you will see the colour is very vivid with even only a little added.

Take care to avoid touching it directly as it's akin to getting your fingers covered in boot polish - very noticeable and requires vigorous scrubbing to get it off.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33 AM »
What would you say would be a good amount - 1/4 TSP or maybe 1/8 TSP?

In what Ramirez?  This recipe calls for 2tsp red plus 1 tsp yellow?

If you then use this tandoori masala to make a marinade or paste, or you add it in, say, a tikka masala recipe, you shouldn't need to add any more colouring.

My concern was that having never used powdered food colour, that this stuff from TRS was some industry strength stuff - hence the instructions not add directly to food. I was worried that adding 1-2 TSP of it would have been too much.

Ignore those instructions Ramirez you can add to any food you are cooking but the point is you make it part of your masala (spice mix) and when you mix it with yoghurt, garlic chili etc to marinade your chicken you will see the colour is very vivid with even only a little added.

Perfect! I'll be hopefully making Cory's Madras over the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Ramirez,

I use this brand all the time.  As matt3333 rightly points out, do not spill any and if you do, wipe with a dry cloth, that's if you don't want you kitchen to look like an scene from "Texas chainsaw massacre"

CA,

At the risk of sounding like a proper lazy git, have you ever tried the "Rajah" tandoori masala, and if so, how does it compare to this recipe?

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 12:23 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a proper lazy git, have you ever tried the "Rajah" tandoori masala, and if so, how does it compare to this recipe?

No I haven't.  Nothing lazy about it, if you feel it works for you, do it!  I don't know that many BIRs would actually faff around making up their own tandoori masala anyway  :P

Offline Achille17

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26 PM »
Until now, I've used this recipe for CA CTM with success.

I've just discovered this post:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=176.msg1693#msg1693

giving the impression that this recipe is a simplified version of the SPICE MIXTURE provided by Ghanna.

I wonder how Ghanna's version works with CA CTM.

Offline BadSeed

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42 AM »
I made this last night to the recipe supplied by the op.
I tested it on some fish, very nice.

I am looking forward to making a CTM at the weekend.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline zulu9812

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I'd like to use a natural yellow food colouring and I can't seem to get my hands on anatto seed powder for the yellow. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 07:05 AM »
I'd like to use a natural yellow food colouring and I can't seem to get my hands on anatto seed powder for the yellow. Can anyone recommend an alternative?
Anatto will give you orangey-red, not yellow.  I don't use natural colourings myself (I used highly concentrated powders) but for natural yellow turmeric and saffron would seem to be two possible options.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes