Author Topic: Cooking Potatoes  (Read 2349 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Cooking Potatoes
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Until recently when boiling potatoes for roasts, mash, /whatever we took them out and did the next stage, a new discovery for us is leave them for 15/20 mins to dry off, the end product is so much better, if you haven't already done so, give it a whirl.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:07 AM »
If I'm making roast potatoes, I bring them to boil in a pot of salted water then simmer for 6 minutes. I drain them in a colander, and, like you, allow them to dry.

Then, I heat a little sunflower oil in a roasting pan on the hob over a high flame. I rumble the potatoes around in the colander to roughen up the surfaces and briefly fry them in the hot oil, turning frequently, until the potatoes turn golden and slightly crisp on the outside.

Then, the roasting pan goes into the oven, pre-heated to 180C/Gas Mark 4, for 40 minutes. The roasties come out nicely browned, crisp on the outside and moist and tender inside.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Interesting Naga, I will have to try your method which is different in a couple of ways to what I usually do. Not that I am unhappy with my results, but it

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Until recently when boiling potatoes for roasts, mash, /whatever we took them out and did the next stage, a new discovery for us is leave them for 15/20 mins to dry off, the end product is so much better, if you haven't already done so, give it a whirl.

Hi Micky, I didn

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:35 AM »

Hi Micky, I didn

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Ok thanks, I

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:09 AM »
If I'm making roast potatoes, I bring them to boil in a pot of salted water then simmer for 6 minutes. I drain them in a colander, and, like you, allow them to dry.

Then, I heat a little sunflower oil in a roasting pan on the hob over a high flame. I rumble the potatoes around in the colander to roughen up the surfaces and briefly fry them in the hot oil, turning frequently, until the potatoes turn golden and slightly crisp on the outside.

Then, the roasting pan goes into the oven, pre-heated to 180C/Gas Mark 4, for 40 minutes. The roasties come out nicely browned, crisp on the outside and moist and tender inside.

We did them the other week in Goosefat, tis a sin worth trying, very yummy

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14 AM »
However I am interested to know what your frying stage adds and will try it just as you

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30 AM »

©2024 Curry Recipes