Author Topic: Is it legal for a forum to start charging for access to user-provided content?  (Read 13284 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
it was nothing to do with the introduction of a Paywall it was the principal of overnight not being allowed access to one"s own material,

But you can still access your material, you just have to pay for it; ergo it was the Paywall which brought you here.

I've been banned Garp so paying won't get me access, its not the

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Why were you banned?

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Why were you banned?

Jalfrezi T wrote a polite post saying that he didnt think the forum was going in the right direction for which he got banned, i posted that i agreed with the comments in Jalfrezi's post and i got banned too.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
OK mate. For what it's worth, I think you have been an asset to this forum.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
You say CA has failed with his forum George,  but you also mentioned that you have been a member there under a different name and it seems that you

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
OK mate. For what it's worth, I think you have been an asset to this forum.

Thank you Mr Garp :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
The above all makes very interesting reading.

I agree with Phil. At that time, he who must be obeyed was an active and productive group member. Latterly though, he was a divisive and destructive group member, and it sounds like his behaviour on his own forum is an extension of some of the behaviour we observed here latterly. I can totally imagine him lurking here under some other persona. How sad.

Although the last few years on this forum have been slower in terms of input/output, it's been a much calmer and more pleasant place and I have enjoyed engaging with other members and viewing the recipes that occasionally appear here.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Although the last few years on this forum have been slower in terms of input/output,....

SL, I would suggest that in line with the theme of the forum, this is, and probably always was going to be, the inevitable end result.  At first the topic was a mystery. Some people joined one or more of the 3 forums and shared their knowledge, while others, like myself, knowing absolutely nothing or very little, joined to learn from them.  When I first found BIR in search for a particular dish, I signed up as a member of all 3 including a paid membership on RCR.  I also joined BIRCurries but never really contributed or used the other 2 sites at all because this forum is where I found the answers I sought.  Once the BIR recipes and methods are known, ie; published, discussed and extrapolated to the nth degree, there is very little more to do other than refine skills and seek equipment and ingredients.  I don't publish any of my own recipes because I don't have any.  Everything I cook is simply an adjustment of someone else's work.  I research multiple variations of different dish recipes, average things out, analyse commonalities and differences, adjust to my own preference and use past experience to cook.  I post my findings.  Sometimes I just use recipes as written such as Misty Ricardo's ebook and CT's videos.

Of course, there are those who still think the mystery, secret, 5% (call it what you will) is yet to be revealed.  The more I participate and practice, the less I feel that this is the case.  (A discussion for another day.) I'll point out myself, that being on the opposite side of the planet I have never eaten a "geographically true BIR" dish let alone the holy grail of the 1970's, if it exists.  If I'm essentially following the recipes and methods published here and elsewhere though, I should be eating BIR the same as everybody else here doing the same.

In saying this though, I have a recent experience that poses a dilemma for me and once again suggests that BIR is quite different to the Aussie Indian food industry.  Personally I can't say that my food is greatly different to restaurant food out here. I enjoy both and would be hard pressed to tell the difference.  I can't explain it and I'd like to test my food out on an actual British BIR lover. Unfortunately, I don't have access to one. Maybe one day.

The story: I recently underwent anaesthesia and came out of sedation in the recovery room to the sight of a nurse with bright blue hair. She was obviously younger than me, probably in her late 30's or early 40's and when she spoke to me it was obvious she had an English accent.  I don't recall how but a conversation arose about BIR food and comparison to Aussie curry. I probably just jumped on the opportunity to ask her if she ate curry to deliberately probe her on the matter.  Anaesthesia does funny things to your head and the recovery nurses must have a good laugh sometimes.  Anyway, long story shortened is that she confirmed first hand the view widely held by expat Brits that Aussie IR food, if not inferior, is certainly at least different.  I still can't see it myself from my own experience with both, but there must be something in it.

Anyway, that's another discussion for another day.

.... it's been a much calmer and more pleasant place and I have enjoyed engaging with other members and viewing the recipes that occasionally appear here.

I'd agree, but there is always room for improvement.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
I have never eaten a "geographically true BIR" dish let alone the holy grail of the 1970's, if it exists.

Sadly it doesn't.  But it very definitely did !
** Phil.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I have never eaten a "geographically true BIR" dish let alone the holy grail of the 1970's, if it exists.

Sadly it doesn't.  But it very definitely did !
** Phil.
Agree , it most certainly existed and was far superior to today

©2024 Curry Recipes