Author Topic: Is it legal for a forum to start charging for access to user-provided content?  (Read 13278 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Hi Livo
You are up against it, never tasting BIR in the UK and your struggle getting the ingredients
that are easy to obtain here, but you are similar to any UK expat living wherever in the world.

Following BIR batch style cooking principles, gets you as close to being here as possible.
You don

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Livo,

I am agreeing with Chewy. There seems to be a huge amount of nostalgia for 1970s curries here, which seem to me to just reflect that when you're young and trying something for the first time it blazes an indelible - and unreplicatable - impression.

Being in Oz, you probably have a similar problem to me in Alabama - finding the basics. By going all over my metro area I have managed to find everything I need except wheat-free asafoetida, which I have decided to just ignore. The "remaining 5%" is just colours of people's memory :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Hing (was: "Is it legal for a forum to start charging ...")
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I have managed to find everything I need except wheat-free asafoetida, which I have decided to just ignore.

Pure asafoetida is available online, if such can be legally imported into Alabama.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I can totally imagine him lurking here under some other persona.

I fear you are right and, as he's probably becoming more desperate, I suggest we need to be on high alert.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
I fear you are right and, as he's probably becoming more desperate, I suggest we need to be on high alert.

Why, George ?  What harm can he possibly do ?  He is a spent force, a control freak who no longer has anyone left to control.  Ignore him and he will fade into complete and utter obscurity, taking his private playground and his toys with him (those he hasn't already thrown out of the pram, of course ...).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:06 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hing (was: "Is it legal for a forum to start charging ...")
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 02:45 PM »
I have managed to find everything I need except wheat-free asafoetida, which I have decided to just ignore.

Pure asafoetida is available online, if such can be legally imported into Alabama.

** Phil.

yeah, no problem bringing that in, I just object to the price (cheapskate me  ;D)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Ah yes, I see the problem.  I bought mine at a far far cheaper price, from Planet Spices.  Current price USD 13.99 for 100 gm, post-free worldwide.  Cheaper to buy 1kg, of course ( USD 89.99).

** Phil.

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Ah yes, I see the problem.  I bought mine at a far far cheaper price, from Planet Spices.  Current price USD 13.99 for 100 gm, post-free worldwide.  Cheaper to buy 1kg, of course ( USD 89.99).

** Phil.

thanks for the reco, Phil! Browsing over there now....

Offline jonnie63

• Chef
    • View Profile
@peshwarinaan

I would say morally OK if the person running the site was finding running costs had escalated and only asked members to help pay for website hosting and was only charging enough to keep the thing alive. I am sure people who have contributed would understand that case - presumably they would want their posts to survive and be useful to others.

If a website started off free and contains "donated user" content and then they charge more than is necessary to just keep the thing ticking over, making a big profit then I think that its a different moral matter.

But for general balance....

A domain name can cost up to

©2024 Curry Recipes