• July 22, 2019, 07:07 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Palm Wine Chicken  (Read 288 times)

Offline bhamcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Palm Wine Chicken
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:47 PM »
from VahRehVah. Every moment is worth watching  ;D

Online livo

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Palm Wine Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38 PM »
Crack up. I love it. ;D  It's a little different to other videos Ive watched of him but I do like this cooking style.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38 PM »
Very good indeed.  And rather blows out of the water the theory that oil (or ghee, or whatever) is essential in order to allow the essential oils to leach out of the spices.  I very much suspect that the palm wine ("toddy") plays that rôle .

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline bhamcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Very good indeed.  And rather blows out of the water the theory that oil (or ghee, or whatever) is essential in order to allow the essential oils to leach out of the spices.  I very much suspect that the palm wine ("toddy") plays that rôle .

** Phil.

there are oil soluble spices, as well as alcohol soluble ones.

... I think I prefer Vah's approach, all things considered  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42 PM »
there are oil soluble spices, as well as alcohol soluble ones.

But in this particular case he does not select spices on the basis of their alcohol-solubility — rather, he just throws in all the bog-standard curry spices that we would normally think of as requiring oil in order to extract their essential oils, eschews oil completely and relies solely on alcohol.  That was what really interested me.  'Though of course, a modicum of oil will be release by the chicken when it is cooked, unless he had been absolutely punctilious in removing all skin, fat, preen gland, and even then, as the chicken was cooked on the bone, the bone marrow will release oil.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:02 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D True to form, the resident Troll misses the point of the video.

Which Ive posted a couple of times in the past, but a good reminder of a great Indian Chef.

Dont forget Sanjay got the recipe from a Toddy Tapper. Lol. ;D ;D

cheers Chewy
Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57 PM »
True to form, all intelligent discussion passes straight over the head of this forum's resident CA clone ...

Online livo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:03 AM »
I particularly like his criteria for knowing when the dish is done, which apparently has very little to do with what's in the cooking pot.

I've just watched a few videos and read up on Palm Wine around the world. I'm very interested in the incredibly short and natural fermentation process.  It's remarkable that the sap from this morning's harvest can be consumed at 4% ABV by the afternoon.  Also interesting is how quickly it goes through complete fermentation to acetification, and all from wild yeast.

I wonder if the laugh I had in bed this morning had anything to do with the fact that I am able to walk quite well and without a stick this morning. If it did, I sincerely thank you bhamcurry.   :) :) :)  I think I'll have to go and find some palm trees!!! Climbing them should test the new hip joint out.  ;D
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: