Author Topic: 70's Curry  (Read 5922 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
70's Curry
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:32 PM »
During the 70's going for a curry after a fruitless visit to a Disco was a common thing, something to soak up the lager we had already had, and help heal the dismay caused by the failing to "pull".

My memories of these were of them being superb, we usually only went to one curry house, and never seemed to veer from Popadoms, Chicken Tikka, Meat Madras, with two chapati's, pilau rice and an mushroom bhaji.

Now was it better or are my memories clouded by all the lager.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 70's Curry
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:08 PM »
At least your posting about something curry related :D well done

Chicken Tikka in the 70s, suprised, must have been the end of the 70s

Can you not remember the actual restaurant, town etc...

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47 PM »
At least your posting about something curry related :D well done

Chicken Tikka in the 70s, suprised, must have been the end of the 70s

Can you not remember the actual restaurant, town etc...

The Bangladesh London Road South Croydon.  Its an Estate Agents now.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 05:29 AM »
No curry houses out here at that time.  Late night hamburgers, bacon and egg rolls, hot potato chips etc were commonly available across the road from the pub.  Of course the proprietors / workers there often had there hands full. The queues used to be quite long and lager induced impatience often didn't blend well. They were certainly busy and made good money for putting in the effort I suppose.  Our local was affectionately known as Greasy Ray's. Ray and his charming wife, Maria, cooked excellent burgers and she was a very strong and determined lady.  I still admire her ability to single-handedly control a large group of drunken yobbos simply using the threat of no food for bad behaviour.

There was only 1 Doner kebab trailer in the whole area at the time and it was too far away for most weekends. Another favourite was the Hotdog man with his trolley.  These guys used to occasionally show up at closing time until Health and Safety put an end to them. Belly full of beer, a long bread roll, a long skinny frankfurt (sometimes even warm) served with a choice of sauces and mustards or even mushy peas.  These tasty treats were often not carried very well by some already overindulged patrons who mistakenly thought they needed something to eat.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:31 PM by livo »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 06:17 PM »
My intro curries was in the early 60s.  Brilliant Indian run by an ex Gurkha in Altrincham called The Taj on Church St.  Fantastic madras prawn or chicken.  Not really tasted anyhting like the madras from there since.  There was a good Indian on Princess St Manchester around same period called Taj Mahal.  Madras in their was pretty hot.  Vindaloo too much so.  They also did a Phaal - but no one ever dared try it - the waiter would put you off ordering it.  My mare Pete asked for a Phaal chicken once - ate it - I tasted it - too much for me.  When he

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 06:44 PM »
My intro curries was in the early 60s.  Brilliant Indian run by an ex Gurkha in Altrincham called The Taj on Church St.  Fantastic madras prawn or chicken.  Not really tasted anyhting like the madras from there since.  There was a good Indian on Princess St Manchester around same period called Taj Mahal.  Madras in their was pretty hot.  Vindaloo too much so.  They also did a Phaal - but no one ever dared try it - the waiter would put you off ordering it.  My mare Pete asked for a Phaal chicken once - ate it - I tasted it - too much for me.  When he

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 05:10 PM »
My first 70

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:46 PM »

Offline One Keema Naan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 08:24 PM »
70s a bit before my time for curry eating lads, sorry!   
I grew up in Belfast, which for reasons that shouldn't need explaining was lacking in social amenities. I do remember getting Chinese in the early Eighties when my mum took me out for things like school shopping, We'd get the "businessman's lunch" which included such wonders as a starter which was the syrup from a tin of pineapple chunks with  a drop of food colouring in it!   Exotic.

I know I had my first Indian meal in Cambridge in about '84 when at camp with the ATC. A fixed menu, I only remember the main which was a (hot) Keema with a side of pakora/bahjee. 

I also remember my girlfriend's dad taking me to a "the kebab house" around '86 (I was 16/17), it was a tiny kebaberie, with bar type seating. I thought it was incredibly sophisticated - really! 

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 08:42 PM »
I also remember my girlfriend's dad taking me to a "the kebab house" around '86 (I was 16/17), it was a tiny kebaberie, with bar type seating. I thought it was incredibly sophisticated - really!

Always a good move to let your girlfriend's dad believe that you find his choice of restaurant sophisticated

©2024 Curry Recipes