• June 20, 2019, 10:50 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Is Climate Change real?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
Re: Is Climate Change real?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Can I ask when you say Theories, do you mean Scientific Theories? Because they are two completely different things, so 'Just a theory' often wrongly gets used in these arguments.

I wouldn't agree that they are "completely different things"; rather (to my mind) they represent different points on a continuum.  At one end of the spectrum (p tends to zero), one person formulates a theory based purely on his or her personal experience and observations; at the other end (p tends to one), the theory is based on repeatable observations by a significant number of reliable observers.  Evolution is "just a theory", as is the existence of God, but whilst there is greater evidence for the former than for the latter, p is neither equal to one in the first case nor to zero in the second.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:48 AM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline chewytikka

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Yes, I agree Climate Change is REAL.
Change in general is a natural evolution.

Just like today, you can sit down to a far better curry than
you could possibly eat in the 70s.

cheers Chewy
Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Can I ask when you say Theories, do you mean Scientific Theories? Because they are two completely different things, so 'Just a theory' often wrongly gets used in these arguments.

I wouldn't agree that they are "completely different things"; rather (to my mind) they represent different points on a continuum.  At one end of the spectrum (p tends to zero), one person formulates a theory based purely on his or her personal experience and observations; at the other end (p tends to one), the theory is based on repeatable observations by a significant number of reliable observers.  Evolution is "just a theory", as is the existence of God, but whilst there is greater evidence for the former than for the latter, p is neither equal to one in the first case nor to zero in the second.

** Phil.

No Phil just No, but you have given a good example of a normal Theory.

Evolution is a 'Scientific theory', not 'just a Theory', Please look it up

God? Where to start, Which God/Gods do you refer to? Belief systems, with no evidence, so based purely on faith.
Totally irrelevant to these arguments so not sure why it comes up

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/just-a-theory-7-misused-science-words/

Anyway I'm out

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Well, sorry, but I (continue to) disagree.  Just because a theory is supported by mainstream science, it is still "just" a theory; it doesn't gain extra credence just because you preface it with "Scientific".  If ever evolution were/could be incontravertibly proven, it would cease to be a theory and become a fact; until then, it remains "just" a theory, no matter what additional adjectives you choose to use with it.  I believe in evolution, I don't believe in God, but both are just theories to which one can subscribe or not as one chooses [1].

** Phil.
--------
[1] Unless, of course, one lives in a community where belief in God (no matter what name is actually  used) is mandated by the state and ruthlessly enforced.  In the time of Galileo Galilei, belief in a terracentric universe was similarly mandated and enforced — most but not all communities have moved on a little since then.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:11 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline chewytikka

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Obviously all Kris Dhillons fault ::)

Did you know that Billions of the worlds population, have not and probably will never cook on gas.

They live and die cooking on a Chula or even more basic open fires, fuelled by wood or dried cow dung.

cheers Chewy
Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: