Author Topic: Is Climate Change real?  (Read 11919 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Is Climate Change real?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I watched an interesting piece of TV this morning about protein (meat) substitutes. Mmm, tastes just like chick'n. Soylent green Madras anybody?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I watched an interesting piece of TV this morning about protein (meat) substitutes. Mmm, tastes just like chick'n. Soylent green Madras anybody?

Fine by me
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:46 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 02:04 PM »
many years back working on a concrete works trial in Gloucester area, got to the works canteen very late at the death of serving lunch.  All they had left were TVP 'pork' chops.  Ate them - and must say they tasted like pork, had the texture of pork and were even shaped like pork.  If you were blindfolded - you would not have known they were TVP instead of the real McCoy.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 12:03 PM »

But just taking countries close by here in Europe, governments have gone to incredible lengths to get people to breed more. Russia offered draw entry to win prizes of white goods and cars to parents., Hungary offered zero income tax for life to those who had 4 or more kids, Denmark has had TV advertising to encourage Danes to "breed for Denmark", the Nordics offer large child benefits and subsidised day care. The story is similar in Hong Kong, Korea, India, Japan, etc, etc.

Hmmmm - I take it you are not Danish.

I could be wrong but in the age of fake news and more innocently misinterpretation due to us having increasing access to selected snippets and translations of media from cultures and languages we may not understand that the Danish angle you mention above might belong in the basket labelled "not properly understood due to language and cultural differences".  If I am right and you have got the wrong end of the stick then I feel its a good example of how careful we all need to be when we react to tweets, soundbytes and snippets of media taken from around the world, often misunderstood and taken out of contex

I am not Danish.

I had heard about the

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 06:40 PM »
I wonder why this study (and a recent and similar Japanese  study) have not been widely reported in the MSM.  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf

Perhaps I am missing something, but is there any evidence that this "paper" has been peer-reviewed and published in any journal with academic/scientific credibility ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:52 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 03:28 AM »
Hi all,

I started this thread a while ago as a means to engage people in debate, maybe to get some new information and if the effects would have any impact on us curry lovers.

Since I started it, we have debated 'is climate change happening' and yes, every day the climate is different, hold your hand out or look up but since we are so short lived, in terms of the planet, can we comment on our influence?

I would suggest (no scientific theory or fact right now) that the rise in consumption of land, air, sea resources by 7bil people now walking the planet, compared to only 1bil people just 200 years ago (in geological terms), that we ARE having a massive effect but the results are not immediately evident.  The planet is huge, it resources likewise, the enertia caused by changes may be slow.. but it is likely also very slow to stop and if I may take a very simplistic view, Do we have 200 years left to reverse the changes?

I have read about 'tipping points' and 'resource wars' and I thought they were fantastical but maybe our real fight is with corporate businesses that care not for long term planet resources but only with short term monetary gains.

We could all drive an electric car, but we won't, because the supply of Lithium to make the batteries to hold the charge is finite and running out... so we need another solution.. such as... we ALL don't drive and we hand all of our travel over to a few electric powered transport providers? No? In the current climate, we want everybody else to stop driving to reduce congestion, as long as it is not us!

Peoples cannot see that we are in the crisis position, that we need to hand over control to a few for the benefit of us all, partly because we do not realise we have to start now and mainly becuase we do not trust THEM, the same businesses that are possibly only thinking short term, for their shareholders and adding to the problem.

My thoughts.

And on more curry related terms, I might be able to grow a curry leaf tree, other chillies that I normally only grow indoors have done well for the last few months in my flexible outdoor greenhouse structure.  I just need to find a plant, to start.

BAJ

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 04:42 AM »
I wonder why this study (and a recent and similar Japanese  study) have not been widely reported in the MSM.  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf

Perhaps I am missing something, but is there any evidence that this "paper" has been peer-reviewed and published in any journal with academic/scientific credibility ?

** Phil.

Phil, from your reply I am guessing you googled for info around this particular paper. Yes it has been criticised by the

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 04:55 AM »
I should add that I am no

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Phil, from your reply I am guessing you googled for info around this particular paper. Yes it has been criticised by the
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:08 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Phil, there is a huge amount of peer reviewed stuff out there that questions the causes of CC.

But you will never see it in publications like Nature, because it doesn

©2024 Curry Recipes