Author Topic: Curry powder vs Garam Masala  (Read 5876 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry powder vs Garam Masala
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Chef Ajoy is not BIR, as you say Chewy. I was simply using his 6 different blends of GM to illustrate that there is not a single firmly defined mix of spices that is Garam Masala.

Bhamcurry, if you watch Chewy's video you'll see East End curry powder and (British) Rajah brand for the other spices and Garam Masala. These are commonly used industry standard in the UK.  I can't get either of these brands but I am happy with the results from using what is available here. I doubt there is any huge difference. There is a Rajah brand out of South Africa which is not the same as far as I know.

Available in the US. https://www.pragathi.com/en-AU/Indian-Grocery-detail/Rajah-Madras-Curry-Powder-Mild_79124
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:18 PM by livo »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03 PM »
As I understand it, families have their own particular recipe that is handed down. When I first started cooking Indian food, I was learning how to replicate traditional home cookery, though I didn't realise it at that time. I have many memories of adding garam masala at the end of a dish.

As others have said it's not really a BIR thing to use garam masala.. My Butter Chicken recipe does have garam masala in it though I adapted it to BIR from a homestyle recipe.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26 AM »
...My Butter Chicken recipe does have garam masala in it though I adapted it to BIR from a homestyle recipe.

Off topic...

And a very excellent recipe it is too, Stephen! It's been my standard since you published it and is widely admired by both family and friends - in fact, I just made it again at the weekend for a dinner party! :)

On topic...

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 07:52 PM »
...My Butter Chicken recipe does have garam masala in it though I adapted it to BIR from a homestyle recipe.

Off topic...

And a very excellent recipe it is too, Stephen! It's been my standard since you published it and is widely admired by both family and friends - in fact, I just made it again at the weekend for a dinner party! :)

On topic...

Glad you like it Naga!

It does require a bit more effort than the usual BIR fayre but it's worth the effort I think.

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01 AM »
Stephen, would you mind linking to your recipe?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Chewy, I am not sure of brand names - I tend not to pay attention to them. I have 3 Indian grocery stores in my metro area (1 of which, sadly, burned down recently thanks to a fire in a neighbouring building, so is in unknown state of pay whether or not they will return).

I think I have seen Rajah brand, but don't want to swear to that - I have mainly been sourcing the basic spices to blend myself. I wanted all along to develop a house flavour, hence getting the raw spices in bulk.

I have a curry powder from my local restaurant supply store, which is "Chef's Quality" brand, which appears on most of my spices  ;) - it's a moderately hot curry blend, but rather bland, hence making my own curry powder and garam masala from scratch. Also hence my confusion on the roles of curry powder vs garam masala  :D

Good luck with making your own blends, always good fun ;) ;D
Kirkland does seem a popular US brand of spices.

©2024 Curry Recipes