Author Topic: Haleem  (Read 4303 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Haleem
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:53 PM »
The youngest son has developed a fancy for Haleem and though I invariably use the Shan easy cook Haleem mix he raided an Indian grocers in Whitechapel and bought these for me to try. I

Offline peshwarinaan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Haleem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:10 AM »
Do you properly mash the meat down into a paste, as is traditional? I'd be interested in knowing how these turn out.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Do you properly mash the meat down into a paste, as is traditional? I'd be interested in knowing how these turn out.

I cheat and blitz them with the hand blender once I have removed the meat from any bones.
Everyone of them turned out an acceptable dish but the one mix I originally used I cannot seem to find now. This is a variation on the Shan mix which has whole lentils and grains as opposed the ground version in the easycook mix in the photo above.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 04:23 PM »
I found a couple of boxes of Shan Special Haleem mix in the spice cupboard so I thought I’d get one started.
After watching a few videos of different preparation methods on YouTube, I saw one for beef Haleem, so I bought a pound of skirt steak as this looked very similar to what was used in one of the videos.I usually stick to goat or mutton. I also soaked the grains overnight as I have learned this significantly reduces the cooking time.
Mrs T63 tasted it and says it is the best I have produced to date.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 12:49 AM »
Funny you posted this. Yesterday my wife pulled a box of Laziza Biryani masala out of the cupboard so we had chicken biryani for dinner.  Lovely stuff that I'd forgotten about being in the cupboard.  Never tried haleem and now that I suspect I have an intolerance to wheat, I probably won't.

©2024 Curry Recipes