Author Topic: Must be doing something right.  (Read 4942 times)

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
Must be doing something right.
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Hi Guys. Hellish compliment from my partner the first time I made her a curry. She's from Birmingham and has loved BIR curries for years so knows a good one when she tastes it. I had told her I made a good curry but I got the impression, from her lack of interest, she was expecting a Sharwoods/Pataks kind of affair. Now, imagine her surprise when I served up her favourite Chicken and mushroom Balti for the first time. To say it was priceless is an understatement. She just couldn't believe I hadn't bought it from the local TA, especially as I served it up in a foil tray. I think only when she saw me make one did she fully believe I'd made it myself.

After that she coerced (another word for nagged) me to make one for her daughter and one her son who equally love their BIR curries. It was a Chicken Sag for her daughter and a Vindaloo for her son both of whom didn't believe you could produce IR quality curries at home (don't you just love proving people wrong) Funny thing though. When she told her son I was going to make him a curry, he replied "Oh, I prefer IR curries".

Anyway, when three curry loving Brummies say they are as good as anything they can get down there, I reckon that's as good as it gets. For those interested I use the  "Best 100 Balti Curries"  as the base.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Must be doing something right.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Well done that man.  True praise indeed when it originates from a Brummie BIR aficionado.
** Phil.

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25 PM »
Well done that man.  True praise indeed when it originates from a Brummie BIR aficionado.
** Phil.

Cheers Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Nice one, mate. 

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 11:21 PM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:23 PM »
That is a very good indication that something is going well towards replicating BIR, or at least Balti Brum style.

For those interested I use the  "Best 100 Balti Curries"  as the base.

Do you mean Lowe and Davidson's "100 Best Balti Curries"?  If so are you using the Basic Balti Sauce EverydayVersion or the Balti Sauce Rolls Royce Version?

For those who don't have it it can be found here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=430.0

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 02:59 PM »
That is a very good indication that something is going well towards replicating BIR, or at least Balti Brum style.

For those interested I use the  "Best 100 Balti Curries"  as the base.

Do you mean Lowe and Davidson's "100 Best Balti Curries"?  If so are you using the Basic Balti Sauce EverydayVersion or the Balti Sauce Rolls Royce Version?

For those who don't have it it can be found here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=430.0

Yeah, that's right livo. Sorry for the mistake my friend. I generally use the RR version, But if, for instance, I've run out of, let's say brown cardamoms, I'll just make the base without them.and can't really tell the difference. The "Everyday Version" is an excellent base too, and I'll occasionally  just knock up a batch of that. Both bases make great curries, but the RR version has the edge. 

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Great post and well done.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06 PM »
I've made both of these bases in the past and I liked them as well. I do recall enjoying the Rolls Royce version quite a bit. I may need to revisit but I presently have quite a bit in the freezer (Latif's and Andy2295's). The trouble for me is that I keep finding a new one or one I haven't yet tried or don't remember. I have rarely made a single base more than a few times and some only once. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it is difficult to say which I've really felt were at the top. I've not had any that I'd consider bad though.

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Great post and well done.

From on Stephen to another....thanks.

©2024 Curry Recipes