Author Topic: Too many layers in base gravies?  (Read 10713 times)

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Too many layers in base gravies?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26 AM »

If it's any help mate, I use 2 level teaspoons in a batch of base which serves 6 (300ml per serving).

;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Too many layers? More like too much analysis! I'm not even sure how I would detect more than one layer. The base sauce I;ve been making since soon after this forum started has never failed to disappoint and tastes delicious on its own or when added to recipes which are better, for my taste, than 95% of BIRs.. Maybe I just got lukcy, thanks to founder members. Sadly, very few of them remain here,

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 02:28 PM »
The base sauce I've been making since soon after this forum started has never failed to disappoint ...

Probably time to try a new one then George !
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Why? If it ain't broke don't fix it! I don't want to be going round in circles, re-covering the same old ground, like this forum sometimes seems to be doing.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 02:54 PM »
The base sauce I've been making since soon after this forum started has never failed to disappoint ...

Probably time to try a new one then George !
** Phil.

+1

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 09:05 PM »
I don't think George realises what he's actually written, obviously.  :o

I think you wanted to say it never disappoints, George. What you've said is the exact opposite and that it always does.

Which base gravy is it anyway?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Livo - thank you for pointing out my mistake. Of course, I should have said it never fails to deliver. Or, put another way, it always allows me to make very good curries.. That is the MarkJ base as I mentioned in another thread in this section of the forum.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 12:37 AM »
I dont bother with boiled bases anymore,never mind what base i tried i felt there was something missing,so i make my base to taste like a mild curry,i am getting great results by frying the onions very slowly for up too a hour with whole spices,then i cook out garlic,ginger and green chilli paste,i add tomatoes with mixed powder and salt,then i  cook the base until it is almost  as good as dry and starting to stick too the pan,i add some water and boil for just 10 minutes,and thats it,i could never get the depth of flavor with any base that included boiling the life out of onions spices and what not

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Sounds just like the classic Indian approach, MP, and absolutely nothing wrong with that to my mind.  The good folk of the sub-continent have spent centuries refining their recipes and methodology, whilst BIR cuisine has existed for just a fraction of that time and (in general) emphasises economy and speed of production over taste and
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:11 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 01:30 PM »
I dont bother with boiled bases anymore,never mind what base i tried i felt there was something missing,so i make my base to taste like a mild curry,i am getting great results by frying the onions very slowly for up too a hour with whole spices,then i cook out garlic,ginger and green chilli paste ...

Do you make your own green chilli paste or use a commercial one, MP ?  If you make your own, can you provide a link to your recipe ?  I have never tried using green chilli paste and would be interested in experimenting with some.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes