Author Topic: lamb biryani  (Read 2228 times)

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
lamb biryani
« on: May 09, 2019, 02:47 PM »
I'm posting a recipe that I often use that I found in a book but can't see it anywhere on the internet. It's called the ultimate recipe book by Angela Nilson.  It is a lovely tasty biryani, and I usually add an extra vegetable curry to go with it to add extra taste and sauce. This always goes down well.

Lamb biryani
Angela Nilson

Ingredients

150g natural yoghurt
3 grated garlic cloves
1 heaped tsp finely grated root ginger

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: lamb biryani
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Lamb biryani is one of my all-time favourites, but normally I prepare a much simpler version than yours.  That said, I like the look of your recipe and will give it a go when I have time.

** Phil.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02 AM »
With respect, CT suggested that my choice of dish for trying a new restaurant/takeaway, chicken biryani was a simple dish, prepared by a lower cook (sous chef) or the Tandoori cook (commis chef?).

Personally, I have always had a problem with this dish and when I read this recipe and the time to prepare it, I come back to my original assertion that if a restaurant/takeaway can make a good biryani, then the rest of the offerings should also be competently made.

Let me know if you make this Phil and your evaluation please.  If I fail to impress myself with a basic recipe, maybe I need something more involved.  99% of the time I have all of the ingredients listed.

BAJ

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:36 PM »
I don't think that a BIR biryani is cooked in the same way, I guess it would be more like a fried rice with pre cooked meat and rice, I'm sure someone with insider knowledge will put us right.

London.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Honestly, this is a great recipe, I make it all the while for guests and it always turns out lovely. The lady who's recipe book I took it from  uses the concept 'take a classic dish, consider how it is made,  then test, modify and fine tune all the different  possibilities to create the ultimate version. She was told to be prepared to test each recipe not once, not twice but possibly a dozen times, whatever it took to achieve the best.

My tips would be to make sure that the lamb is marinated well and still lovely and tender but still moist after the long simmering in the onions. Lastly, put in the oven just before you are going to use it otherwise if you heat it and then reheat later on, it goes a little dry.

I'll be interested how you get on with it.

©2024 Curry Recipes