Author Topic: Lamb Balti  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Balti
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Something tickled the back of my mind on the subject of Lamb Balti recently, and I found myself looking for a suitable recipe without quite knowing why.

I ended up on the YouTube channel of Misty Ricardo (aka rshome123, late of this parish) and found a Lamb Balti video that looked pretty decent.

I made a 4-person balti (hence the giant wok!) according to MR's recipe this morning for later consumption, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best curries I have tasted. Highly recommended!

If you're looking for something new to try, have a go at this one - it's delicious!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Balti
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I have to admit, I have never eaten a "real" balti, only dishes labelled as "balti" by ordinary everyday BIRs and takeaways (and even then, very very  few).  What, in your opinion, makes a balti a balti (apart from the vessel in which it is cooked) ?

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Any one of 3 things, or a combination of 2 or even all 3. Possibly even a 4th.
1) Cooked and served in the Balti pan.
2) Containing the main "meat" ingredient plus vegetables all cooked together. (? Vegetarian Balti)
3) Using the "Balti" spices.
And possibly the Champagne argument,
4) Birmingham only. Or maybe Baltistan as well. ;D

There are other minor contributors.
Must be eaten with bread and no utensils.
Must be eaten outdoors squatting by an open fire.
Can only be judged as a "Real Balti" by someone over the age of 65 who actually had one in the 1970's in the Balti Triangle and swears that they were better than any of the stuff sold today anywhere in the world.  I remember when Weston's Wagon Wheels were this big.  ;)
https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/news/updates/is-our-chocolate-getting-smaller/
Ooops.  :( That doesn't work at all. Oh well, you know what I mean.

Of course you could just cook one as described in one of the Authentic Balti cookbooks and think your eating one. Nobody will ever know. That's what I do.

I like MR'S recipes. I'll give this one a go.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:27 PM by livo »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 01:37 PM »
As you might guess, I'm interested in lamb baltis, per a recent dish from the curry house. Very different to this: no veg at all (!!!) just chunks of meat in a thick, dark brown gravy, which had a heavily gingered flavour, I think. I'd like to emulate it, but it reminds me more of something Nepalese than Birminghamese. It's described by the house as Pieces of tender lamb, cooked in a large pot with whole garam massala, onions, ginger and garlic. A dish with strong distinctive flavours and thick sauce.

But, more importantly, Livo, your line about who can properly judge a balti cracked me up. Fantastic!  :like:

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:02 PM »
I hadn't read Livo's analysis of what makes a true Balti.

Pretty much spot on, I'd say :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Ah yes. The Balti.  Well, just 2 days ago I cooked Abdul Choudhury's Curry Craft Lamb Balti from his new Youtube channel.  He says that he used to make them in the 1970's and that this recipe is authentic and how he cooked it back then.  It is a very tasty dish and quite easy to prepare. There is a 2 stage cook that dispels any myth about small batch base gravy.

I used my flat bottomed wok so a points deduction for that.  Cooked to specification it contains no vegetable pieces so there goes that criteria. You could add some vegetable if you wanted. Slices of capsicum, green peas or some pre-cooked potato would work in this dish.  I did eat it with a toaster naan.

A note:  I did not add the 300 ml of water and ended up with a very thick sauce which is how I prefer my curry. I added the gravy in 2 stages with a reduction both times instead of just putting it all in with the extra water.

I'll put the photo up on the appropriate thread, along with my details on cooking it.

Onions, it's very close your curry house dish description.  If you like Lamb Balti, this is worth a try.  I'll be cooking it again.

©2024 Curry Recipes