Author Topic: How much is an inch of ginger?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
How much is an inch of ginger?
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:28 PM »
I always see in recipes what appears to be a common standard way of measuring Ginger.  By the inch.  But what is an inch of Ginger? 

Fresh ginger seems to come in all shapes and sizes as well as thickness.  So which inch do you choose?  This question has always baffled me, so I just break off a chunk and peel it.  But that might mean I use too much or too little.  So how do you measure a standard 1" of Ginger?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: How much is an inch of ginger?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Given the piece of ginger shewn in your photograph, I would tend to regard the centre of the top-left spur as representing the norm for cross-sectional area, and would adjust the 1" accordingly if I were to cut from a wider or narrower cross-section of the root.  But I wouldn't use a ruler, and I woudn't beat myself up about getting it perfect  !

** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:39 PM »
 How about buying a big fat fresh bit of ginger, cut out an inch sq cube and then weigh it in grams. From then on i x Bobsbeer inch of ginger is = to x grams

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Now that I have asked the question I decided I should google it too, which maybe  I should have done years ago. duh!!!  Anyway it turns out that most chefs determine an inch to be an inch taken off one of the fingers rather than a cube as such.  An inch long but not necessarily an inch thick.  For a weight standard it approximates about 7.5 grams.  You learn something every day. 

This was one site I found: https://www.howmuchisin.com/produce_converters/ginger  But there were others with similar explanations. 

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 10:08 AM »
How much is a quick squirt of lemon, and what part of a spoonful is a smidgen, oh and a handful of fresh coriander, mine or Mike Tysons. :D

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:08 AM »
I think it depends on who you ask.  ::)  If you asked my wife about coriander then she would say a baby's hand rather than Mike Tyson's lol.  She hates the stuff  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes