Author Topic: CHICKEN CHETTINAD  (Read 6084 times)

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
CHICKEN CHETTINAD
« on: June 25, 2019, 11:52 PM »
I made this curry last night  and it was lovely, really spicey. It's from Rick Stein's book 'India'
I made a couple of changes and have put a * and my alternative. I also added chillies as we like it quite hot
Try it, it's worth it.

CHICKEN CHETTINAD
SERVES 4
For the spice blend
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder

For the chicken
50ml vegetable oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
5cm piece cinnamon bark  *(I USED 2)
1 tbsp very roughly chopped dagarful or an extra 3cm piece cinnamon stick * (I didn't put this in)
150g shallots, diced  *(I USED 2 FINELY CHOPPED ONIIONS) instead

Handful of curry leaves
700g skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 5cm pieces
20g/4 cloves garlic, finely crushed
20g/4cm ginger, finely grated
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
100ml water *(I USED A MADRAS BASE SAUCE)
* 6 GREEN CHILLIES

Boiled basmati rice to serve

RECIPE NOTE
If using dagarful, sort through it and remove and discard any pieces of bark first.

Method
For the spice blend, put the spices in a spice grinder and process to a powder.
For the chicken, heat the oil in a sturdy frying pan or karahi over a medium heat, add the fennel, cinnamon and dagarful and fry for 1 minute. Add the shallots, chillies and curry leaves and fry for 10 minutes until the shallots are softened and golden. Add the chicken and stir around for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the garlic, ginger, sugar, salt and all of the spice blend, and fry for 2 minutes. Add the water, and cook for about 10
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:45 AM by foureyes1941 »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: CHICKEN CHETTINAD
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Not a dish with which I am familiar, Anita, but looks interesting and I may well try it, so thank you for posting  May I ask for clarification of one point, though, please ?  When you write "5cm piece cinnamon bark  *(I USED 2)", by "I used 2" I assume that you meant that you used two 5cm pieces (please correct me if I am wrong) and did you use real cinnamon (relatively light in colour and thin) or "faux cinnamon" (cassia bark, thicker, darker) as is often use in Indian cuisine ?

** Phil.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Hi Phil
 yes, I added 2 pieces of cinnamon sticks, using the actual cinnamon not the cassia bark as the recipe called for "1 tbsp very roughly chopped dagarful or an extra 3cm piece cinnamon stick  and I didn't have a clue what it was. The use of 6 thin green chillies might be a bit much for some people but we like our curries hot so this is just the usual amount for us now. I didn't slice them, I left them whole.

I'll be interested how you rate this if you cook it.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 11:38 PM »
Dagarful, Dagar phool or stone flower among other names.  A lichen that is used in Indian food.  Some have claimed it to be the missing part of the quest.  This is doubtful.  Search for it on this site you will find it discussed but not at great length,  It is a bit obscure.

This looks like a nice curry though. May have to give it a try.  I used up all of my chicken last night doing a bulk Butter Chicken order for family.  10 serves.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Dagoor phool (along with many other useful ingredients) is available from Hampshire Foods.  I am about to order some especially to make this dish.

** Phil.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 09:55 AM »
There is also a recipe for Chettinad in KD's The New Curry Secret.

Our experience was that it was simply too spicy (not too hot, just "too  much going on" with the spices).

Might have to give this one a go :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Trying to make this dish for a while now, BIR version, a version using the Taz base and getting very close to what i had from a local restaurant but still needs a little tweaking.
Chicken Chettinad from Fiery Holes, Bilston
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

This has a hint of tomato coming through with curry leaves, asked what was in it, server said garam masala, i couldn't taste any, i have the flavour but i just can't get that hint of tomato to come through. I have tried fresh, finely chopped and melted into the sauce, tinned, blended and straight out of the tin chopped tomatoes, passata, all toms tried adding at the start of cooking, in middle of cooking and also right at the end of cooking but i just can't get that hint to come through.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 11:22 AM »
How about a pinch or so of tomato powder added at the end like garam masala?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 10:06 AM »
My be worth a try but none local to me and not a big fan of ordering spices online, prices more than anything, might try and make some.
Thanks Dalpuri

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 03:56 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes