Author Topic: Evaportated milk  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Evaportated milk
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Interesting debate folks.

I love evaporated milk (I take it that we are talking about 'Carnation' here) and grew up with it as an addition to puddings/desserts.

As others have said, I think, if included in the base, it could limit the versatility of the base to be used over many dishes. For this reason, I don't use coconut in my base either. In my opinion, a base sauce/gravy should be a pretty bland affair - adding texture and volume to a curry sauce, and the essential background flavours, without being overly noticeable in the finished dish. Too much sweetness in the base, I feel, limits the ability to produce an array of curries from the same base.

I think evaporated milk could have it's place in creamy (korma/CTM) type dishes - might give it a try.

I'm also curious as to whether it would work in H4ppy Naans. Many will know that I am a great advocate of the H4C naan, but admit that the original recipe is too sweet (for me), so I reduce the sugar. But as it uses milk and not yogurt, the sweetness of a proportion of evaporated milk might work.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Evaportated milk
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Carnation evaporated milk is a useful ingredient as is Heinz Tomato soup concentrate.  Use it as required and by all means experiment with it, but it isn't anything to make you realize you've suddenly found curry nirvana.

©2024 Curry Recipes