• September 17, 2019, 10:25 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: How much electricity does it take to make curry base gravy?  (Read 162 times)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
How much electricity does it take to make curry base gravy?
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:18 PM »
  Probably not a question anyone has ever asked themselves, and to be honest I wasn’t that bothered, but having just received from Amazon a plug-in electricity consumption meter which keeps track of how many kilowatt hours individual appliances use, I thought I would find out.

A base sauce made with 1kg of onions, cooked in my electric pressure cooker, used a remarkably low 0.364 kWh during a 90 minute cooking duration.  (I like to cook my base well, others will tell you 30 mins in a pressure cooker is enough- I don’t agree!)

So that is less than 5p of electric to cook enough base gravy for 10 curries. So amongst the many anxieties which trouble my brow, it seems the energy cost of cooking curries need not be one of them!  The electric pressure cooker uses 1kW while it’s heating up, but once at temperature the element cycles on just very occasionally and briefly, so the energy used to extend the cooking duration is really peanuts. While the element is off, just 1.7W of electricity is being used while your base bubbles away, cooking nicely. 

And yes, it didn’t really warrant a thread, but discussions seem to be a bit sparse on here lately, so let’s talk about anything.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:38 PM by Donald Brasco »
Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun. Don't get caught in the web...

Online Garp

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How much electricity does it take to make curry base gravy?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:13 PM »
That seems like a pretty decent return on your investment mate.

Offline jalfreziT

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How much electricity does it take to make curry base gravy?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Interesting stuff.

I recently did a similar calculation for processing apples through a steam juicer. It cost next to nothing.

Heating, hot water and sauna stoves are the electricity guzzlers. Everything else just isn’t worth worrying about.

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: