Author Topic: Let's ban all mention of ladle measures!  (Read 6357 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Let's ban all mention of ladle measures!
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:28 PM »
I suggest the ladle measure causes more trouble than it's worth. Ladles vary too much in size for there to be a standard.

Some people appear to have a problem grasping measures like tbls (15ml) and tsp (5ml), let alone vague ladle capacities.

Please, please, please state actual volumes, like 125ml or whatever.

Regards
George

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Let's ban all mention of ladle measures!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Well done George, I think ladles and spoons are a nightmare; its bad enough with pans!! ::)

CP

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:19 PM »
I see where your coming from George but all the BIR chefs I have been lucky enough to watch and talk to always go by sight rather than exact measurments.  I have never managed to get them to break down ingredients to an exact science its always bit of this bit of that.

It's been mentioned before but I would much rather have the receipe as is from the horses mouth rather than someone elses best guess at what it should be.  Obviously this doesn't apply if it's someones own recipe where yes exact measurements should be used.

As for ladles of base I always go by my own opinion when making a curry itself, I know what a vindaloo should look like if you get me. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:23 PM by Curry King »

Offline andy2295

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Hi
Sorry but we have not got the time to measure like that. I have stated what our ladle sizes are.

Regards
Andy

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Its OK Andy, please understand where some of the peeps here are coming from.  I have posted a measurements conversion list in the Hints & Tips Section, which I think a lot of people are missing.  I must update it with your 'Chef's Pinch'  ;D

There are some who are quite happy with generalisations, but they are cooks who have a lot/some of experience and are comfortable with cooking by eye and nose.  The mission as always is to find the (non-existant  ::)) holy grail which is the perfect BIR curry and to do that some prefer the scientific approach to back up their cooking skills.

Keep up the very good positive work.  Everyone is supportive of what you are doing, maybe they sometimes come over the wrong way despite the emoticons. 

Measurements sheet - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1255.0

I am keeping the UCB & recipes on the back burner to give Andy a good chance and reduce any confusion folks, but when Andy wants a break I will pick up that thread again.

CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:21 PM »
I have posted a measurements conversion list in the Hints & Tips Section, which I think a lot of people are missing.  I must update it with your 'Chef's Pinch'

It is great that you have done this CP, but who is to say that your idea of "a ladle" is the same as another person's?  We have seen that there are numerous ladle sizes and each person's opinion, on what "a ladle" means, differs!  And often by a significant amount!  :P

Although it is a useful guide, I believe it is best (and clearer) that the recipe poster clarifies their measuring units in their post.

There are some who are quite happy with generalisations, but they are cooks who have a lot/some of experience and are comfortable with cooking by eye and nose

With respect CP, I see this as being less about "cooking experince" and more about "clear communication".  If specifying "ladles" is ambiguous (and it clearly is), and specifying volumes (in established and unambiguous units) is clearer (which it unarguably is), then we should rather favour the latter...IMHO.

As I see it, this thread is a general statement about using "ladles" as a measuring unit and not about Andy, nor about any other particular individual, on the forum?

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:30 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Where possible this would be ideal but I think we can all agree we will accept inside BIR information in any form.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Where possible this would be ideal but I think we can all agree we will accept inside BIR information in any form.

So, perhaps we can agree that we should try to encourage people to post recipes with measurements as unambiguous as possible, but this shouldn't hinder people from posting recipes?  Particularly if they have "inside BIR information" (but this would probably fall more appropriately in the "Let's Talk Curry" section anyway?)

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:07 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:09 PM »
Right on Cory.  That was my intention; I wasn't having a go at anyone, just trying to clarify the need for precision.  Sorry if I gave the wrong impression - just in a rush as usual and not re-reading my post.

CP

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15 PM »
So, perhaps we can agree that we should try to encourage people to post recipes with measurements as unambiguous as possible, but this shouldn't hinder people from posting recipes?  Particularly if they have "inside BIR information"

Totaly agree with that!

©2024 Curry Recipes