Author Topic: Aromatic Salt  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Aromatic Salt
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Aromatic salt is called for in some recipes on this site.  It is used in place of ordinary salt. 

The following are two versions given in Pat Chapman's Curry Bible:

Lightly Spiced Aromatic Salt:

• 100g of coarse sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

More Highly Spiced Aromatic Salt

• 100g of coarse sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of dried mint
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground fenugreek
  • 1 teaspoon of ground almond meal
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground tumeric

Simply grind the lot together and store in an airtight container out of direct sunlight.

Please feel free to add any variations you may know of  8)

Regards,

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Aromatic Salt
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:03 PM »
i've just come across this post.

does anyone use aromatic salt on a regular basis or is it really at the traditional end of the taste spectrum.

also is the "allspice" the same thing as used in Jamaican food. i've not seen it in my Asian Store and been on the look out for it for a while now (for jerk chicken).

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Schwartz do allspice (jamaican pepper) which you can find in any supermarket. I often use it in rice and it has a lovely flavour. I'm not sure whether this recipe calls for the allspice berry, or the aromatic cinnamony spice mix that you can use in cakes/desserts?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:20 AM »
seekingcurry,

many thanks, i'd not realised there are 2 varieties. i'm now sure it's the berry "Jamaican" version. will check out the schwartz (which i normally stay well clear of - i bought some "Special Blend Spicy Italian" and can't get rid of the stuff, real let down and well put me off)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Schwartz do allspice (jamaican pepper) which you can find in any supermarket. I often use it in rice and it has a lovely flavour. I'm not sure whether this recipe calls for the allspice berry, or the aromatic cinnamony spice mix that you can use in cakes/desserts?

Hi SeekingCurry,

Yes, it's the berry ("pimento"), originally from the West Indies/Jamaica.

The "aromatic cinnamony spice mix" you mention is presumably "mixed spice" (a mixture of spices)?

Jerry, I've used aromatic salt a bit, it's useful to perk up a curry towards the end of cooking (much like garam masala in that regard)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37 AM »
CA,

thanks for input. i think u're right with the "bit". i don't see it needed for most dishes (i keep having a go now and then at replicating sylhety and feel there is some "seasoning2 in their and the aromatic salt may just be it).

i managed to get the real stuff "berry" (as opposed to the mix) from Aldi of all places.

i'll give the aromatic salt a go next week.

©2024 Curry Recipes