Author Topic: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo  (Read 51959 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Ive tried boiling , frying & both together & seem to end up with the same results also, except a difference in sweetness witch i believe is the more attributed to the oil itself.must admit though the recipe given to me by my local take-away witch is the same as the 1 given 2 curry king produces the most tasty curries yet & i will be using this more often in my experiments, the only real difference is larger amounts of spices, desert spoons instead of teaspoons, it really does improve the flavor .I disagree on the second stage though as it looks more like my local is making a semi authentic vindaloo with the ingredients that i have found in it , but this new base is making it easier to get close to the clone as before my curries were sometimes rather harsh with all the chilli powder(3/4 tablespoons !!). i can see how they get the heat as the chicken pieces are extremely hot yet the sauce is much less(does anyone else get this ??), i am wondering if they marinade or cook the chicken in with hot chillies & strain after cooking so they can produce the tasty gravy without the bitter/harsh taste of chilli powder.more experiments to follow muhahahahamuhahahaha !!! sorry gone again .

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Hi DARTHPHALL,

I think you might find that it is the actual chewing action while eating the chicken that makes it seem hotter and that isn't actually hotter in itself.  You could test this by putting a piece of unspiced chicken that you have prepaired yourself in your next takeaway vindaloo.  But on second thoughts you would probably have noticed the effect in your home made curries if this the case.

Could it be that the takeaway chicken is cooked in SALT and turmeric as mentioned elsewhere and the salt enhances the heat in the sauce while eating the chicken.

I don't really know but I have noticed the same effect.

Cheers DARTHPHALL,

Blondie

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Hi Blondie . I actually only boil my chicken with Turmeric & Salt. No the chicken is definitely hotter (Extremely in the Tindaloo!! :o :o).
Also apparently Green chilies should be used not red i was told by one of the staff as green give of there own taste , perhaps that was what i used when i got 100% smell & 100% taste(but not together aaaaaaaaagggghhh !!) as i do seem to remember using green & red mixed chillies in some of my curries but didn't think it would be of any importance , you never know.more experiments to follow ( BACK TO THE LAB !!    EEEEGOR.... FETCH MY CURRY GRAVY !!!).   :P ;D :P ;D  ;)

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Hi DARTHPHALL,

As the chicken in the Tindaloo tastes even hotter than in the Vindaloo, surely this proves that it isn't actually the chicken (assuming the chicken is prepared the same way for both Tind & Vind) but the effect of the salt from the chicken or chewing action that make it seem hotter, the chicken is actually the same as in milder dishes eg Madras isn't it.

Hope you understand what I'm gettig at or am I missing YOUR point.

Cheers DARTHPHALL,

Blondie

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2005, 08:50 PM »
something i've always found with chillies and the heat in your mouth is:

the more liquid in your mouth then the better the chilli heat affects you, so if your chewing salted chicken then it's going to make your mouth produce more saliva and then you can taste the chilli (hotter tasting curry).

sometimes when i've had a poor phall i sip water between mouthfulls of the curry so that i can feel more of the heat(chilli)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Seems to be a huge difference in the heat of the chicken & the gravy. There is also a large difference in heat between the Vindaloo & Tindaloo, but the gravy itself is milder, also you only have to put the chicken in your mouth & lightly break it up with your tongue & bang !! so no i don't believe it the chewing action (sounds rude don't it !!) . It may be another way to make a hot curry without adding a huge amount of chili powder, there is also no sign of chilies unless they are pureed to hell !! ;D but it does seem that my local is a little different from most although that oniony taste is very prevalent so in that our goals are the same  ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevenb

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2005, 10:49 AM »
does it matter if you use a yellow or red pepper  and what is the best curry mix to use

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2005, 11:06 AM »
In my last experiment i used 1 green & 1 red Pepper , so close i`ll need to buy a take-away to tell then apart & it tasted bloody marvelous !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevenb

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 01:32 PM »

Heat the oil and fry the garlic and ginger puree. Add the tomato puree and fry for a minute. Add the chili powder and curry powder, cook for a further minute. Add a ladle of curry gravy and cook through, add the rest of the gravy. Add chicken and allow to simmer.
Just before serving sprinkle in the chopped coriander and stir in.

thouight you would have sealed the chicken at the begining of making the curry can some one advise please

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 01:46 PM »
thouight you would have sealed the chicken at the begining of making the curry can some one advise please

Hi,

The chicken is pre-cooked, there's a few methods of doing this on the forum but personally i use this one:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=158.0

Cheers
cK

©2024 Curry Recipes