Author Topic: Spice storage tips  (Read 17815 times)

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Spice storage tips
« on: May 10, 2007, 10:24 AM »
As this subject has been a bit neglected I thought I would put my two pence worth in  ;)

There are several factors that will effect the quality of your whole/ground spice collections.

Spice enemies

1. Exposure to air. (Causes oxidation which leads to loss/changes of flavour)
2. Light.           (Causes colour loss and loss of flavour)
3. Heat.            (Accelerates the last two factors)     
4. Moisture.        (A killer, it will cause mould and bacterial growth)
5. Age.             (Causes colour/flavour loss and general deterioration)

Spice containers

The perfect spice container would be tube shaped (less spice surface area to contact air), air tight, water tight and opaque, unfortunately this shape is also a pain in the rear end to stack/store in a cupboard, they take a lot of room.
I use Lock 'n' lock containers, they are very secure and stack well to save space.
I keep them in a dark cool cupboard well away from the cooker.
Use small containers and try not to buy more spices than you think you will use in the next six months (whole spices will keep longer than ground)
Keep an eye on how long you have had the spices (I put the date on each container when it is refilled) and renew them regularly.

The worst case scenario is probably a nice spice rack with clear glass containers kept next to the cooker, so if your friends/family want to buy you one as a pressie to indulge your curry passion, carefully decline :)

My collection

Hope this has been of some help and yes, that is Bombay duck on the right, I happen to like the stuff  :P

Jethro

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spice storage tips
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:29 AM »
Thanks for the post, Jethro.  Nice post and nice tips....I said "TIPS!"  ;D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:08 PM »
That`s one heck of a serious set of curry cooking condiments (say that after a beer or 3). Do you manage to get the whole of the spice powder from the packet into your storage container? I keep mine in round plastic containers with snap on lids, and then they are put into a large plastic food box then in a draw in the kitchen cupboard. How often do replenish your stock? Say you hadn`t used a particular spice for ages, how long would you leave it before you threw it away?

;)  ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Wow nice collection, puts my "curry cupboard" to shame  :o

cK

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:08 AM »
That`s one heck of a serious set of curry cooking condiments (say that after a beer or 3). Do you manage to get the whole of the spice powder from the packet into your storage container? I keep mine in round plastic containers with snap on lids, and then they are put into a large plastic food box then in a draw in the kitchen cupboard. How often do replenish your stock? Say you hadn`t used a particular spice for ages, how long would you leave it before you threw it away?

;)  ;D

Generaly 100 Grams of ground spice will fit into the 180 Ml boxes quite easily, whole spices are another matter. Coriander seed for example takes up a lot of volume for its weight.
As for how long to keep them, well thats a matter of keeping an eye (or nose :) ) on them as they vary a lot. Delicately flavoured ground spices or stuff like curry/fenugreek leaves I would only keep for about 6 months and then renew them. On the other end of the scale there is stuff like whole black cardomom which is sealed in its own little package and is very highly flavoured and would probably last a year or more.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Thats is one great collection, life would be a lot easier if i could organise like that ;)

Good work
Stew :D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I use these from Ikea....although you can't buy them online they're good and more importantly, they're cheap lol

only ?2.99 for a set of 17 :)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10098256

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I use these from Ikea....although you can't buy them online they're good and more importantly, they're cheap lol

only ?2.99 for a set of 17 :)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10098256

Looks good to me, practical and cheap :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:57 AM »
I'd prefer a set like yours Jethro, unfortunately, I live with a Yorkshireman :'( lol

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55 PM »
I have a spare fridge which i use as my curry fridge :) all the spices go in cleaned out patak's sauce jars  - garlic, ginger puree go in the freezer section in ice cube form. along with containers of base sauce

Kev.

©2024 Curry Recipes