Author Topic: Last weekend project  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Paul-B

• Chef
    • View Profile
Last weekend project
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:47 PM »
OK, on Saturday I had my first go at making a base and a curry. I used Darth's recipes with a few modifications. It was going to be a Jalfreyzi, but I decided on this first attempt to stay with Darth's Madras.

First, I downsized to half, basically because I was at my g/f's place and we didn't have a large enough pan to go for the full monte... that will be put right this week :-) We had a possible problem in that she has a Rayburn range (similar to an AGA) so it's not practical to make a good stir-fry, the cooking surface doesn't get quite hot enough, which is why she's going to have a gas wok ring added when her new kitchen is installed. Anyway, we went to the Cowley Road early afternoon... for those who don't know Oxford it's where all the Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Caribbean shops are, and it's heaven to a curry-lover. I bought new spices to make sure everything was fresh and full-flavoured, because I know spices get tired quite quickly, especially if they're ground. I used the Moulinex with the chip attachment to chop all the vegetables, and made the garlic and ginger puree in an electric coffee grinder which we keep for that purpose. Started frying the purees and spices in a large Ikea cookpan, a bit like a wok but with a large flat base. While this was cooking I cut the chicken breasts and put them in the water to boil, as per the recipe.

I let the base sauce cook for 90 minutes (with a Rayburn it comes to temperature slowly, so inevitably cooking times are going to be longer). While this was happening I sliced the chicken breasts as Darth's instructions, poured boiling water over them and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Took them off the range and left them in the water

I prepared the curry as per Darth's recipe. The result was delectable... a rich, thick, spicy curry, very much like a BIR one. Full marks to you, Darth, from both myself and the g/f.

A few comments might be in order here. First, I used the maximum amount of oil in the base, I didn't include the coriander stalks 'cos I hate coriander. I used half the recipe quantity of salt, but I added three tablespoons of Thai fish sauce - I use this in all my sauces and gravies, it adds richness and flavour, and you don't taste the fish. Liquidising was a problem, as I don't have a liquidiser (that'll be remedied this week) so I used the Moulinex, with the result that the base wasn't a pure liquid, it was quite "grainy". Didn't detract from the final result, though. Next time I won't use chicken breasts, I find them on the dry side. I'll use chicken thighs slashed to the bone to get the sauce right in deep. And the work-surface is now stained yellow where the base oil seems to get, so I'll do most of the work on a plastic slab until the new kitchen's installed.

I took some camera pics which are attached. They are:
1. The base sauce cooking, with the chicken breasts in another saucepan next to it
2. The base sauce before liquidising
3. The base sauce after liquidising and cooking
4. The final curry :-)

Finally, thanks to all. I'm *so* glad I found this forum!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Last weekend project
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Thanks for trying Darth's recipe and reporting back and posting photos Paul-B!

Glad that you and your girlfriend liked the outcome!  8)

Regards,

©2024 Curry Recipes