Author Topic: Rice - The Perfect Boiled Takeway Rice  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Rice - The Perfect Boiled Takeway Rice
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Hi all,

Has anyone got a recipe to get perfect boiled rice like the takeaway.
I spend all my time on curry production and neglect the rice, perhaps you have one to get it right ???

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Rice - The Perfect Boiled Takeway Rice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Busy today.Perfect boiled rice.
    PURE BASMATI RICE.(use anything else & i will nail your mouth open & stuff you with long grain rice ,bit like a stuffed marrow ;D ;D)
   1. Get you pan & put in the amount of rice you need .
   2. Boil a kettle,pour boiling water over rice, stir immediately,bring to boil on cooker.
   3. Turn down heat to steady simmer as soon as it starts to boil.
   4. Keep STIRRING & tasting (you actually testing the rice to see how cooked it is).
   5. A soon as its still slightly crispy in the center(this part you need to learn from experience but what you are trying to do is get to the point were by the time you have taken from the heat rinsed in cold water it will be cooked right through with the residual heat in the rice)
   Between parts 4 & 5 i add 2 STAR ANISE,4 CLOVES,4 CARDAMOM PODS ,4 PIECES OF CASSIA BARK (about amount that would equate to the STAR ANISE in weight) & 2 BAY LEAVES.
   The biggets thing i have learned (& i cook rice 4/5 a week) is you never boil rice as by the time you think its cooked it carries on cooking until you cool it down ,so you always miss that point.also i find Basmati rice cooks so well .i use it for my Chinese & experimental dishes.
         IT IS THE KING OF RICE !!  8)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:39 AM »
Thanks i will try this ;D ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 07:52 PM »
Hi i would like to know how did the rice turn out.Did you try all the spices as well ? What did you think ?

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:15 PM »
hi,Darthphall
 this method is very simple and easy as well , i will try it soon and report back.
thanks
ghanna

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 07:41 PM »
I forgot , you can also add some cumin seeds . ;) ;)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Rinse the basmati rice until the liquid coming off it comes clear. Then boil it in salted water along with a few pieces of cassia bark, a couple of bay leaves, a piece of star anise, a couple of cloves. Slightly undercook it then drain off the hot water. Return to pan with a knob of ghee. Cover with a tea towel (off the heat) for ten minutes.It will steam in the residual heat. Then add a tiny drop of red and green food coloring (just the cake baking stuff) and cover for a further ten minutes. Finally, fluff with a fork. It should be light and fluffy, with that restaurant "jeweled" effect. This rice reheats excellently in a microwave. It also freezes well.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 07:38 AM »
I never rinse Basmati  :o as it is not starchy as most rices are, also a large amount of the flavour & nutritional content is on the surface, your washing away the goodness !! & using food colouring defeats the health objective.Try this as a healthy alternative .
  Cook rice as i described but do a separate dish with just rice & no spices .The spiced version with the Turmeric will turn Yellow,
  the unspiced will stay white , after all is cooked mix together Yellow & White rice !! it will look ACE!!!  ;)  and will not include any additives, i object to the use of these & enforce this protocol through the medium of a large hammer (hehehehehe!!! ) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 06:26 PM »
Hi, Darthphall
Please tell me if you do fry the whole spices in oil or not,as well in what stage do you add the cumin seeds ?
Which cumin seeds do you use is it the black cumin seeds that usually used  in the biryani or is it the normal cumin seeds.?
Darthphall  all your cooking is simple and easy and very quick, i print every recipe you type.
Waiting for your reply
Thanks
ghanna

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Hi Ghanna !!
  Add normal Cumin between parts 4 & 5 as with the other spices,i don't roast them.
 But you can in an empty pan on high just chuck in & roast for 30 seconds , you know when spices are cooked too long as they go bitter( i bet you knew this anyhow Ghanna as you have a vast knowledge on fine authentic Asian cuisine).

©2024 Curry Recipes