Author Topic: CA's Puris (Illustrated!)  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Puris (Illustrated!)
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Background:

This is my recipe for Puris, given to me by an Indian friend of mine.  Puris are deep-fried unleavened breads and are very quick and easy to make.  They are usually made from atta (or "chapatti"/wholemeal) flour, but this version uses self-raising flour, which I prefer (they puff up more!).

I guarantee that kids and adults alike will absolutely adore these Puris when served warm and sprinkled with sugar!

Makes about 15 Puris (of about 15cm diameter)

Ingredients:

• Oil for deep-fat frying
  • 400g self-raising flour
  • 1 tbsp melted butter ghee
  • 1 tbsp Greek (or plain) yoghurt
  • 0.5 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar

Method:

1.  Sift the flour into a bowl

2.  Add the melted butter ghee, yoghurt, salt and sugar and mix by hand

3.  Add sufficient warm water to knead into a soft, pliable dough

4.  Cover the dough with a damp towel and allow to stand for at least 15 minutes before cooking

5.  Divide the dough into equal sized balls of about 5cm diameter

6.  Flatten each ball, by hand, place on a lightly floured surface and roll into discs of approximately 15cm diameter using a rolling pin (lightly oil each surface, to simplify rolling, if required)

7.  Heat the oil to a moderate temperature of about 200oC.  A small piece of the flour should initially sink, and then quickly float to the surface, when the oil is hot enough.  If the oil is too cold, the Puris will be too oily

8.  Place the Puris, a couple at a time, in the hot oil.  They should initially sink, then quickly float to the surface, and then puff up like a balloon!

9.  Cook the Puris for about 30 seconds, until golden brown.  Then flip the Puris over and cook the other side, for a further 30 seconds or so, until the Puris are a light golden brown.  Do not overcook!  They will continue to brown once removed from the oil.

10. Remove the Puris from the hot oil and place them on kitchen paper to absorb any residual oil

11. Sprinkle with a little sugar (if desired) and eat immediately

Notes:  

1.  Unless stated otherwise, the following measures apply:

a)  "tsp" = 1 level 5ml teaspoon
b)  "tbsp" = 1 level 15ml tablespoon

2.  Atta ("chapatti") or wholemeal flour can be substituted for some (or all) of the self-raising flour in Step 1

3.  Milk can be substituted for some (or all) of the water in Step 3

4.  The Puris will keep fairly, for a day or two, if stored in an airtight container in a fridge.  To reheat the Puris, sprinkle the top surface of each with a little water and heat them in a microwave oven, on high, for 30 seconds or so

Copyright C Cory Ander 2007
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 02:37 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Puris (Illustrated!)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Photo of finished Puris:

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:30 AM »
Hi CA,

I'm about to give these a try today to accompany a chicken chaat recipe, kindly donated by a fellow cr0 member.

Just one question if I may; do these puris stay puffed up or will they flattern if pierced? 

Chicken Chaat Puri, as it is served in my local BIR is served with what resembles a very soft, smallish chapatti, usually with a hint of garlic to it, which is probably garlic flavoured ghee, brushed on it before serving?

Ray :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35 AM »
just watched this think it will help this post.

Indian street food - FANTASTIC - You MUST watch!!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08 PM »
indian street food always looks so good!

@ razor, looking at CA's photo it looks like they stay ball shaped

i use this recipe
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2646.0
the puris puff up then deflat flat when cooling.
Cheers UB.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Just one question if I may; do these puris stay puffed up or will they flattern if pierced? 

Hi Ray,

They fairly rapidly deflate (with or without piercing) as shown in the video that HC posted.

Cheers,

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Hi CA,

Thanks for the reply.  So, I gave these a try but substituted the s/r flour for Atta as per your suggestion.  Some of them puffed up, some didn't but all tasted great.

However, on my second batch something went wrong as they came out rather crispy! Still tasted great though. I really need to practise my bread making as it's the one area that I feel i'm lacking somewhat.

I'm going to give these another try tonight but go with the s/r flour as per your spec recipe.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes