Author Topic: fireing the pan  (Read 4102 times)

Offline slimboyfat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
fireing the pan
« on: March 31, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I think this adds another layer to the flavour but I cant always seem to get my one to catch if you look at the photo by admin the pan is fully alight 

Any ideas

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: fireing the pan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:53 PM »
Ive had it happen by accident a couple of times, the pan wasn't fully alight but it burst into flames and ive had it shoot up the sides a few times.  It always happens for me around the first ladle of gravy and shoving that round the pan on a high heat.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 01:47 PM »
There's no real magic to it but you do need a very high heat for it to always work. The addition of a SMALL amount of curry sauce to the oil causes an atomised mix of sauce/oil to spit over the side of the pan where the high heat ignites it. This is why the chefs don't just bung all the base sauce in at once. You will never do it consistently unless you have a very high heat, only add small amounts of sauce each time and make sure your sauce is already very hot before adding. Of course you must also use a low sided pan, a frying pan will do.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Here's a pic of me igniting the oil. As you can see I don't do things by halves.? ?;D

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:01 PM »
You do it best at the start.
Heat? the oil up really hot.
Then when you add a little curry gravy or garlic ginger puree it spits and splutters like mad.
It's these splutters that start the flames, it rapidly spreads to the rest of the pan.
To ignite these splutters you need to tilt your pan a little so it is angled into the gas ring flames.
Be very carefull and have a damp teatowel ready to extinguish flames if necessary.
It can be a really violent reaction.
Watch out for setting fire to your hair and clothes too, it is potentially very dangerous.
So..................
Get the oil really hot then a dd a little of curry gravy and it should go!!!
I don't think it gives the missing flavour, though

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Pete, you are right it doesn't do anything for the flavour!  I have been experimenting with oil into the gravy.  I have made 4 different curries now and scooped off the top of the oil and put it back into the base gravy.  To start a curry I just take oil from top of gravy and then cook.  Keep repeating this process every time you make a curry.  The oil is improving the flavour and aroma more each time.  I have just made a dupiaza and the smell in my kitchen is out of this world!  Try it, you won't be disappointed I promise.  Nice to hear from you again, I was beginning to think that you were not coming back after your last post - you seemed so down.  Chin up

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:17 PM »
For Gawwwwwwwwwwwds sake dont throw water on the pan if it does go up or you really will end up looking like the chap above...

:o

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:28 PM »
hi ,Pete
you are the dynamo of this forum ,please come back and report to us .
curruqueen ,you are right ,we missed him.
thanks
ghanna

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 10:21 PM »
hi ,Pete
you are the dynamo of this forum ,please come back and report to us .
curruqueen ,you are right ,we missed him.
thanks
ghanna
Thanks.
I am confused.
I want to see the curry gravy made but don't know how to do it!
You've got to get about four hours kitchen time.
No restaurant would allow that.

©2024 Curry Recipes