Author Topic: Invasion of Privacy?  (Read 54741 times)

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Invasion of Privacy?
« on: June 24, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Hi admin,

Can you please reassure us that you do not also go to the extraordinary lengths that other lesser curry cooking sites go to to invade members privacy. :-\

Im referring to this recent post by the site owner/administrator there (andy is his name):

"You see we use various commercial packages that sit at the front of SMF...The system has dynamic i.p interpretor and path recognition so it remembers all previous dynamic i.p addresses, email addresses, SMPT, mac, etc etc, along with a ton of more in depth technical stuff?."  :o

It may as well read:

"You see we use various commercial packages that invade your privacy and record as much personal information about you as possible, without your consent and probably totally against your wishes"

Whereas his membership agreement states:

"please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement. Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer."

And all this from someone who was so mortally offended when simply asked whether he came from the uk or usa.  Unbelievable.  ::)

We all know that he bans people who simply disagree with him or challenge him.  Oh well, I suppose some people will go to any lengths to prevent people from doing so.  ::)

I shall certainly think twice before going anywhere near that particular site again.  ::)

I hope you dont go to the same lengths here admin?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:06 PM by Woks Up »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion of Privacy?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Nope we are pretty relaxed here.  I dont keep track on anyone unless they are abusing the site.
I am sure people will wise up soon enough regarding RCR, i'm all for competition but to use this website which took years to build up as a platform to launch an identical site taking longstanding members away is just a low blow.
Peeps can make their own minds up...

However i think there is room for lots of curry sites on all the topics on the internet so keep currying on people.....

Stew 8)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Nicely put boss.  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Most forum software comes with IP checkers as standard and also displays the used IP's of any particular member/account.....What andy is referring to here in his post is something else altogether, what he's referring to is the information which the host server is bound to collect and protect by law......however, that information should never be passed out to any forum admin unless in a hacking-type situation or if a particular person's actions warrant a suspicion of criminality, and even then, the hosts are not obliged to hand over such information (I know all of this because I run a warez forum with my hubby and a few friends ;)and believe me, you have to be familiar with what is and is not allowed LOL! :o )

When you get down to the bones of it, it's only a recipe forum.......why on earth would he need to keep a watch on his members so closely? :-\ and more to the point, I've never yet heard of an ISP that would close someone's internet access purely because they've insulted someone on a curry board :o ;D

The more I hear about RCR, the less I want to participate there :-\

Besides. I think I've already nailed me colours to the mast here hehehe ;D Unfortunately for you lot :P

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55 PM »
BTW....I've just googled Andy2295 and it comes up with some surprising results...

Here's one with his secret "insider" knowledge of Italian food... obviously little success there LOL Total users = 11 :o

http://italian-food-recipe.co.uk/joomla1/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26

Or if you'd fancy chinese? ....again, very little success with this one ::) total users, 41 ::)

http://www.chinese-food-recipe.co.uk/joomla1/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=27

How about a mexican food forum, it has secrets to reveal too ROFL!!!!! total users - 13

http://mexican-food-recipe.co.uk/joomla1/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26

these other sites promise to have their very own italian/chinese/mexican resident chef to give guidance...(sounds familiar :-X )

I have to add that on these other forums, he's dropped the ten years tag (wonder why?)

I would have posted this on RCR, but I seem to be having problems logging on (maybe I've been banned ::) )

**EDIT** I haven't been banned, just problems connecting ::) Just so Underground can't complain again lol ::) although I have no problem logging in when I change IP ???
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:06 PM by Dominatrixxx »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:41 PM »
Thats a lot of chefs that seem only to happy to give all their secrets away  ::)

Offline Swampy61

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32 AM »
Like I said on RCR guys!

I'm here to improve my curry making skills.
I'll use both sites and others to broaden my knowledge.

So lets just drop the crap about who siad what and who's doing this to who.

I'm here to make BIR curry and I'm still looking for what suits my tastes best.

And D I'm surprised at you. I thought you were on the same mission as me, I  think your post is beneath you.

Swampy

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:59 AM »
ROFL  ;D

Maybe all the other users were banned  ::)

Don't forget "Spices and Herbs Online" http://www.spicesandherbs.co.uk/e107/news.php

More free advertising!  :P

This is better than East Enders, and has more twists and turns than Brands Hatch  8)

Let's face it guys, andys simply in it for the money.  Hes doing it to sell books, equipment, spices, advertising, etc.  Theres nothing wrong with that, but he should make his intentions clear and stop duping people about bir restaurants, takeaways, chefs and such nonsense  ::)  The most bizarre thing is that so many people cant seem to see it, simply refuse to, or just don't care.  :o

Ive been banned (as underground has kindly relayed to all at rcr lol  ::)) for asking difficult questions.  And I thought we lived in a democracy, but evidently not  :-\  I know others have been banned for allegedly using non-existent e-mail addresses....wrongly, as it happens (andy uses his highly sophisticated snooping software to determine this...software that the CIA and MI5 would undoubtedly be proud of  :P)

Here are some things that simply don't add up to me:

Andys Restaurant and Takeaway:

No member appears to have been to them, knows what they are called, or knows where they are  :-\  What a missed business opportunity!  :o 

Oh, apart from anne, bless her cotton socks, andys "right-hand-man" and "partner-in-crime".  Oh but wait!  Shes also an administrator of all the other sites!  ::) Andy should rather invite a staunch cynic (eg me   :-*), rather than a cohort, to his restaurant.  Unless there is no restaurant of course  ;)

The restaurant owner and chefs are clearly illiterate (English and computing) yet the restaurant and/or takeaway appears to have high speed internet access!  Give me a break!  ;D

How about this for a laugh? "Not good annoy Ali"!!  :o (Ali is the owner...innit);D when he alluded to a secret ingredient (smoked paprika) and was questioned about it.  ROFL.  Give me a break!  ;D

Andys Recipes:

Youd probably think that recipes would be firmly established, after 12 years in business, wouldn't you?  :-\ I would.  Id maybe expect some subtle refinements, or maybe the the addition of a new line (eg balti) or a new dish or two?  But wholesale changes, at the drop of a hat, and apparently in reaction to criticism from members?  Give me a break!  ::)

Here are just a few of the more significant about-turns that I find implausible:

The use of Pre-cooked onion/tomato/garlic paste (as copied, verbatim, from the Natco website) was allegedly critical.  Now its no longer used!  ::)

The use of Knorr Vegetable Bouillon Catering Paste was allegedly critical.  Nothing else would do.  Now its common Knorr stock cubes!  ::)

The use of fresh fenugreek leaves and fresh dried curry leaves was allegedly critical.  Now its pre-dried leaves   ::)   

As others have already stated, its simply implausible that a restaurant and/or takeaway, with 12 years in business, would change their recipes willy-nilly like this.  Im all for continuous improvement, but this is simply ridiculous!   ;D

Its also implausible that restaurant and takeaway owners and chefs would so freely divulge their recipes and secrets as weve been led to believe.  Balti recipes anyone?  We have a new chef you know?  ::)

Andys Promises:

Fusing the spices is allegedly A most, if not THE most, critical technique and step.  I don't necessarily disagree with this, but members have been waiting for andys fusion video ("done off heat....for clarity" rofl  ::)) since February.

I was castigated, ridiculed, and greeted by sarcasm and irrelevant responses, by several members there, for having the temerity to suggest that andy might please describes the technique in words in the meantime  ::)  I mean, how hard is it to get such a critically important video together?.(on heat...with a real chef...in a real restaurant....for clarity)?..unless you don't really work in a restaurant of course.  ;)

And where are the photos of the restaurant dishes that andy promised?  To date, andys posted some photos of a cauliflower bhaji, a chicken madras and a naan!  I can only presume that these are photos of a recent takeway that he had!  ;D How hard is it to snap a few photos and post them, really, unless you don't really work in a restaurant, of course?  ;)

Simply implausible id say.

Andys Comrades in Arms:

Have you noticed the mysterious and rather bizarre disappearance of Chilli Prawn?  :o  At one time you simply couldn't keep him quiet!  Wild horses couldnt keep him away!  ;) And now?  Absolutely nothing!  Nada.  Not a murmur!  Not a squeak!  Not even a mention!  Has he gone spain?  Or should we presume him dead?  ;)

Have you noticed they all seem to have villas in spain too?  Curious.  :-\

And what about the bizarre appearance of the infamous and mysterious Mr "M" (or martinwhynot, as he has now revealed himself), of Natco recipe fame, who does nothing but heap tons of praise on andys recipes?  ;D  How very, very, convenient?..and how totally bizarre!  Martin doesn't even care to mention his infamous pre-cooked paste recipe, or that andy has so surreptitiously dropped it from use!  Personally, id be mortified!  Who wouldnt?  Who is this guy!  I can only presume hes a saint!  ;)

Whos andy going to wheel in next, to bolster his standing, I wonder?   Pat Chapman or Khris Dhillon?  "Hi, im pat chapman, and id just like to say how much better andys recipes are than mine!"  ROFL  ;D

Andys Censorship:

Andy clearly does not like to live in a democratic free world (unless its cribbing other curry cooking sites or recipes of course) where people are free to express their opinions.  Andy clearly cannot take criticism and bans anyone who disagrees, questions or challenges him, or that he, or his minions, simply dislike.  Some countries have dictatorships like that too, although I don?t believe spain is one of them?  :P

So, a knight in shining armour?  Or a tin man wrapped in foil?  :-\ You decide.  I know where my money is.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:09 AM by Woks Up »

Offline Swampy61

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:11 AM »
So Wok's Up

On a positive note - how are your curry making skills coming along?

Swampy

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:06 AM »
And the truth shall set you free.

©2024 Curry Recipes