Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 167841 times)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2009, 07:43 AM »
JerryM

That's a shame that you don't like the taste of Patak's pastes, because you are to my mind, missing out on a truly wonderful Madras. There is only a teaspoon in it and although it adds to the whole flavour, I wouldn't be too sure that the individual taste can be picked out. As said before, my taste buds were probably shot to pieces that day, so perhaps I'm not the best to judge on that.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2009, 05:51 AM »
The recipe calls for 3 large onions. When I made the base, I used 1Kg of chopped onion. I'm about to have another go today and will use as stated 3 large onions. Problem 1 large onion weighs 760g. Times that by three, and you end up with 2280g, way to much onion. It is one large mother ****er of an onion. ;D

Now I'm not going to use three of these, I will use 750g this time and see if there is any difference. Will not adjust the spicing though.

As you can see it is next to a 1Tbl spoon measure.

Offline Smiley

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I have now made this base for my last three curry batches. I have to admit it is by far the best I have personally tasted so far. I did notice it was more suited to spicier dishes more than the mild korma type curries. My Madras was very dark with a greenish tinge in the final dish. But the flavour was fantastic & all who consumed it enjoyed it very much (table conversation went to nil on serving up & remained silent for several mins.). Original base I used before this was the Kris Dhillon base. This now in my opinion falls way short of this base's quality & flavour. Seems suited more to mild dishes. As Kris Dhillon's first book was were I started with curry recipe's I was quite disappointed in the final dish each time finding it lacking here & there but with little experience I had no way of properly analysing. Since finding this forum I have grown in confidence & my experience with ingredients & their effects have also increased. Now being able to tweak with confidence on that elusive search for the 'Ultimate BIR experience' at home. This forum beats any book on my shelves.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2009, 07:02 AM »
Smiley,

this base is one that i've not made.

just wanted to echo the rest of the comments which is pretty much me to the "t" as well.

best wishes.

Offline makum101

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2009, 08:55 PM »
OK Ive just read the whole thread. Seems to me the key is cooking it long enough. Im gona try doing it in my slow cooker. 10 hours on low. It wont loose liquid this way so should not end up too thick.

Offline fatphil

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Hi all, for me this is bar far the best base i have tried to date.
over the past couple of years i have tried several and i must say that this one really doe's hit the spot ;D

Offline doodyboy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Followed the recipe to the letter....turned out REALLY REALLY REALLY bitter!!! ???

Luckily, my guests are not coming round until tomorrow and I can try again with a trusted base sauce recipe. I guess it must've been the ingedients!!  ::)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00 PM »
ok my first ever attempt at a proper curry that didint mean some mince with curry powder thrown in it.

got this base reciepe on the hob the now, photographing my attempt as i go on, will post the pics up soon as convienient.

fingers crossed

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19 PM »
I think this is the original recipe this base sauce came from -  ;)

Sunday, January 07, 2007 
 Mumrez Khan?s Lamb and Spinach Karahi curry
Category: Food and Restaurants
This is the recipe for Mumrez Khan's Lamb and Spinach Karahi curry recipe from Rick Stein's "Food Heroes" series. Mumrez is from the Karachi Restaurant in Neal Street, Bradford,  West Yorkshire.

It has been said that "this is the only curry recipe you'll ever need" ...I must say it is the best curry i have ever made at home, so try it yourself! You won't be disappointed.

The Ingredients

- 250g (9oz) Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 65g (2 1/2oz) Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 550g (1 1/4lb) Onions Chopped
- 50g (2oz) Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 900g (2lb) Boneless leg or shoulder of Lamb (1? in) cubes
- 120ml (4fl oz) water
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Coriander (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Ground Turmeric
- 350g (12oz) Fresh Spinach washed with large stalks removed
- 4 medium sized Green Chillies with stalks removed
- ? tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 x 400g (140z)  Can Chopped Toms
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Ground Coriander
- A pinch of ground cumin and freshly ground black pepper to serve

Method

1. Heat the ghee in a large, heavy based pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring now and then, for 20 minutes until they are soft and a light brown

2. Put the tomatoes, water, ginger and garlic into a liquidizer and blend until smooth.  Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon, add them to the paste and blend briefly until smooth.

3. Return the puree to the ghee left in the pan and add the lamb and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, by which time the lamb will be half cooked and the sauce will be well reduced.  Stir in the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and ground coriander and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes for shoulder or 45-1 hour for leg, until the lamb is tender, adding a little water now and then if the sauce starts to stick.
4. Meanwhile, put 175g (6oz) of the spinach leaves into a large pan and cook until it has wilted down into the bottom of the pan.  Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to the rinsed out liquidizer and blend to a smooth puree.  Set aside.  Rinse out the liquidiser again and add the green chillies and 2-3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth.  Set aside.

5. When the lamb is cooked, there should be a layer of ghee floating on the top of the curry.  You can either skim it off or leave it there, whichever you prefer (leave it). Then stir in the spinach puree and the remaining spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes.

6. Now taste the curry and add as much green chilli puree as you wish, according to how hot you like your curries. Simmer for 2 minutes more.

7. Stir in the fresh coriander and Garam Masala. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and sprinkle with a little more ground cumin and some freshly ground black pepper just before you take it to the table.

Serve with your choice of rice, Naan breads, Poppadoms and whatever else you can cram in.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2009, 10:07 PM »
ok all done. here are my pics of making this base

all the stuff together, i added more onion as i measured out the amount wrong, the scales doing lbs i thought kg dohhhhh. but caught my mistake just in time.

here is the onions in the oil and starting to cook away

onions after about 20 mins on a medium heat number 4 on electric cooker

i now put the garlic and ginger and tomatoes into the pot

gave it a right good going with a hand blender till it was in a good puree, at this point i added 2 cups of water as well, then stuck it on a low heat for about 30 mins then upped to a medium heat for another 30 mins. i kept the lid on except for a few stirrings at this point.

this little devil came into the kitchen when my back was turned for a minute and started poking about with my spices!, you can see the chilli and cumin on his brand new jumper.

stuck the spices in and let it do its stuff.

oil starting to form on top and getting darker, 2 hours i

just about there now 2hours 30 mins of bubbling away

scooped this oil off the top of it, think i will keep it and use to make the curry with.

all packed and cooling ready to freeze the final product

except for this one, this is for making my first real curry tomorrow night, vindallo for me and a korma for the scared wife.

tastes lovley , had a spoonfull. i halved the amount of chilli and paprika i put in because thought it would be better for kormas, and i can give as much heat as i require when making the vindallo.

will post pics of how i get on :)

many thanks

©2024 Curry Recipes