Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 167842 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #250 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00 PM »
Jimmy2x that looks Quality   :)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16 PM »
hi all

so i had a crack at making a curry with this base, and here is the result. i didint take as many pictures as it was full on work doing it.

couple of points

i was lacking a few things ie i had no garam masala or fenugreek, so i basically used a mix of spices as in the be spice mix and some garlic and chilli powder and tomato puree.

I also made a korma at the same time for my wife, i made a mistake in using a bag of grated coconut, this showed up poorly in the meal, though the taste was very nice.

also shown is my attempt to make some pilau rice, i was missing cardomon for this reciepe, though it tasted just right, and i messed up a bit with my food colouring.

washing the basmati

put the spices in, as i had no cardomon i put a touch of chinese 5 spice in, with bay leave, cumin, salt, sugar, 5 whole cloves. all thrown in on some hot veg oil

here is the rice drying out, i splashed some natural food colouring on. then set aside in the fridge for an hour, before i started the curry cooking.

here is my stuff to make the vindalloo, i had no chillies, and was missing a couple of ingriedents. but used a tub of minced chillies for heat.

At this point it was hectic, i was making the curries and was busy as heck and never took photos, i even forgot to take one of the korma. but i did take this final pic of my curry.

So wasint quite like a bir curry, but it wasint that far off, was very pleased realy with the end result, and ive learned a few lessons and gained some knowledge for my next attempt which will be on saturday.

1. getting the coulour in the rice is harder than i thought, easier to i think make couloured rice in seperate cups then let dry and mix all together before reheating.

2. almonds in the korma, i had a hard job justifying the 1.68 for the small bag of almonds from the supermarket, i bought almond extract instead for 58p a bottle, im not sure what diffrence this made to the overall dish. To me the curry shouldnt cost more than i could buy it for, infact it should cost a lot less, this is one of the main reasons for creating your own as well as the fun involved.

3. the cocunut in the korma should be liquid or this comes through unpleasant in the final dish, i think the milk of a coconut would do just fine next time.

4. i realy must get together the correct ingriedence, this is curtailing my effort, ive been buying all this stuff from morrisons and though ive had to make a huge outlay for spices ect, this will obviously get cheaper now i have so much and wont need much at all except some chicken for quite a few meals.

5. i need to when happy create a spice mix, this will save loads of bother dishing out a spoon full of this and that all the time. i realy need to look into this as it makes it so much easier and also more uniform.

will update how i do on saturday.

by the way both curries tasted realy nice anyway, just not quite what they could have been.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Great post and pics Jimmy  8)

That rice looks very nice to me!  Same with the curry!

Perhaps use a little less food colouring, if you think it's too colourful?  You only need a couple of drops and then ensure that the rice is thoroughly dry before mixing (to avoid "bleeding" of the colours).  Or, as you say, make yellow and white (and red, if you like) rice separately and mix them (I use the former method and it works just fine provided the rice is dry)

the cocunut in the korma should be liquid or this comes through unpleasant in the final dish, i think the milk of a coconut would do just fine next time

To my mind, coconut milk powder is best to use (it's what BIRs use).

i realy must get together the correct ingriedence

This thread might be helpful to you Jimmy:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1766.0

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2009, 08:33 PM »
 Made this ' New Base ' today and what a result ! The texture was Silky smooth and the Madras which I made after was sooo rich and what a depth of flavour  :o I use the sNs Madras recipe  and I tend to go a bit heavy on the Spices compared to the Recipe but today I followed the Recipe to the letter and I couldn't believe how rich the Curry was with just minimal Spices . Probably a drop of water either in the base or when I cook the Madras will make it perfect  ;D Well done Admin 

Offline foxy69rtaz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2009, 04:45 PM »
so far so good, jus doin the puree cook atm, smells wonderful was very worried bout all the garlic but seems to hav calmed down lol bout 20 mins to go b4 the ground spices, will keep updated, this so far smells better than the rest i have tried, jus hope this one tastes like curry lol (had a few this week that taste like the smell of dead mans foot lol) :P

Offline scoobydoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2010, 11:12 PM »
after the base sauce is made is that edible or concentrate.i am lost do i now look up a recipe and use this base and the other recipe ingrediants.thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2010, 12:41 AM »
after the base sauce is made is that edible or concentrate.i am lost do i now look up a recipe and use this base and the other recipe ingrediants.thanks

Hi Scoobydoo,

The base sauce is ready to use for making a main curry.  So decide a main curry and recipe to your liking (from here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=3.0) and add this base (as is) where the recipe tells you to.

Offline dazer23866

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44 PM »
made this base today has great flavor and when my wife walked in she said my god it smells like an indian restaurant in here    RESULT OR WHAT

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2010, 12:06 PM »
That looks amazing to me Jimmy. I like the look of this one admin, i like the look of the garlic quantity
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:46 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline foxy69rtaz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17 AM »
i love this recipe! its my fav curry recipe out of hundreds. i have been looking for it for months though hahah i only found it by googling 15 garlic bulbs haha. well done mate, nice dish there x

This recipe calls for frying onion until softened, then pureeing.

I have not posted for a while but this recipe is very very close as a BIR curry sauce.
It just needs time to darken: -

Ingredients
1/2 Cup veg oil
3 Large Onions - Finely Chopped
1 Can Tinned Tomato 400g tin chopped
15 Garlic Bulbs Cloves (yes 15)
1 Cube Ginger
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon - Coriander
1 Tablespoon - Cumin
1 Tablespoon - Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon - Paprika
1 Tablespoon - Turmeric

Method
1. Take a stock pot
2. Heat veg oil
3. Add Onions fry until softened or until they turn a little darker (15 to 20 mins), this should take the acid out of them.
4. Blend onions with 1 tin toms, garlic bulbs, ginger & some water until become a puree / has a soup like texture.
5  Put the puree into the stock pot on a medium heat add 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Cook gently (medium high heat) until starting to become darker, this could be an hour or so, keep it going the longer the better, add water or cup chicken stock iif becomes to thick.
7. Add the ground spices (coriander/cumin/chili/paprika/turmeric) into the puree and stir
8. Cook until the oil rises to the top this is the sign the base sauce is ready, but make sure it is dark.

This is an adaption from this recipe which is real and from a restaurant in Bradford.
I was so impressed with the sauce i have adapted it above and now think this could be the real thing
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1846.msg16005#msg16005

Copyright CR0.co.uk

Can you tell me how much water I should roughly use ?

Best regard  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes