Author Topic: The Taste  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
The Taste
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Right ive just made a vindaloo sauce then scooped the oil out of it and used that to make a chicken vindaloo and I'll swear its got the "taste".  Its so hard to tell when you make it yourself I think and the only way to tell is to sit it next to a couple of restaurant currys and see.

Im confident enough that it is that good that I will challenge anyone to come round and try it or even out vindaloo me?

Anyone in West Sussex want to try?   8)

Keith

Re: The Taste
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Wish i was a bit closer i'd love to come and try it . I'm sure it't the biz !! I also think we should be realising that the the taste we are all after is not one ingredient ,but a combination of events in the kitchen . for example the tipping back in of nice flavoury oil from the last dish as you have just done  . these guys won't waste anything !
Keith

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:08 PM »
hi , Curryking
i am very happy that you got their at the end.
please write and tell us what base you used, what ingredients ,every thing please.
thank you in advance
ghanna

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Well said Ghanna,

I'm sure Curry King will confirm his findings and post the results,. There is no reason to doubt him he has made such a massive contribution so far,

Cheers,

Blondie

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Come on someone as got to??  ???

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:00 PM »
It's in the oil and technique used - I think!  This is a post I made earlier saying that I had been experimenting and that I thought it was the taste.   WELL DONE CURRYKING!!! I'll be round to taste it!

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I used my gravy and curry recipe from here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

I think adding the oil in from the curry I had already made definetley added something to the flavour.  I might do what curryqueen suggested and stick some back in the gravy.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Nice one Curry King you bugger  ;D ;D just when Ive got soooooo close ,but still Ive got a few experiments muhahahahaaa ahem! sorry.The NEXT THING OF COURSE BEING ABLE TO PRODUCE THAT TASTE EVERY TIME ,this is our ultimate goal don't you think curry heads ?? And a very load & spicy huraaaaah for Curry King!!!!! do you know Ive got the same smell out of my curries by making a batch then on a day cooking more onions in oil then adding the already cooked batch so i can see how you come to the same conclusion but i`ve not as yet got both smell & taste in the same curry."SOD IT I'M OF TO MAKE A CURRY"!! Thanks for the inspiration." YOUR CURRIES ARE POWERFULL AS THE EMPEROR FEARED"

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 05:35 PM »
The first time in a while I got a takeaway last night. Rather than our usual more modern and slightly pricier local, we went to one of the more traditional BIR's locally.

I had a Chicken Chilli Massalla and eating it at home was useful as I could eat it 'in the cold light of day'.

What struck me on close inspection was the amount of oil. Probably twice as much as would be on one of mine made at home, so maybe 6-7 tbps going into the final dish (unless it's coming from the gravy).

That taste, was definitely different also. Just as prominent but more of a smokier tone to it rather than the spicey one from our regular place.  I keep changing my mind on this but I would also now say that there isn't an ingredient added that we are all missing, but maybe we are all missing the boat slightly with a few factors and it is the cumulative effect. Certainly I'd say that 'that' taste does vary from BIR to BIR presumably as a result of different base recipe/method.  I still think everyone should crack on. I think it is still possible to get this nailed, and in time more and more of us will.

That said it won't be me. I'm having a month off beer at home, and all curries!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I have to be honest when i make take-away style curries every time i`m going to go back to a more varied experimentation of curries , maybe try some authentic stuff but non the less i would like to evolve all forum members witch will keep this forum evolving into something more .Although we are primarily a club for curry cloners !! And when we have cloned the bir take-away style curry ,we will say OK whats our next objective & there is also the social benefits " ALL THOSE CRAZY B******S LOVE CURRY AS MUCH AS I DO " !!  :o :o
This forum has also picked up momentum .  I log on more times a day than i care to admit :P :P
 HERE is a dish that will be next on my agenda LASAN CHICKEN = BASICALLY GARLIC CHICKEN CURRY .Think of a mild take-away style Vindalloo/Tindalloo but more Garlic & few Tomatoes ,its an excellent dish .So here is to cr0.co.uk & its bright ( & spicy ) future. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes