Author Topic: The Taste  (Read 8201 times)

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Taste
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:08 PM »
hi Darthphall
waiting for the LASAN  chicken curry
i am sure it is going to be fine like every curry that you post.
thanks
ghanna

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:05 PM »
I'd hate to see this forum close any time soon for meeting its main objective, with precious little else to prove.
Very little chance of that.
When you look around at how long we've all been trying to do this.
The lengths we have gone to.
The endless cooking experiments.
How hard we all try.
I have occasionally had a happy accident and touched on the taste.
But can I do it twice?
Can I pin it down?
I predict the "the taste" debate will run forever

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Has anyone else heard of Lasan chicken or is it a dish made up by my local take-away ?
 Ghanna have you tried any of my recipes?
 Here is a few questions & hopefully answers to our problem .
Another point on that taste (Curry King using oil from one batch to get that taste , so cooking it twice)
 some comments on this forum by chefs who say how even they seem unable to re-create there own recipe`s at home
 Me also getting success from cooking oil twice.(IN THE FIRST BATCH THEN THE CURRY ITSELF)
 Some of us think there is something missing ( an ingredient)
 Could it be that we cant get it right at home because its the oil & the temperature its kept at, see were this is leading.
 perhaps it because we need to get the oil to a very high temp.. & doing so is hard on conventional hobs ect..
 So tonight i have done a batch with my hob on a high setting cooking the oil on its own for 30 minutes!! before adding any ingredients.
 Remember the oil kept at high temps changes its caracteristics & that also applies to its smell & taste ?
 think about a take-away .the oil is not just cooked for1 meal as we would do at home,so perhaps we need to cook the oil so as to emulate the environment of a take-away maybe ?
 I HOPE THESE FEW COMMENTS GET YOU THINKING AS I HAVE ,SEE HOW BLOODY MARVELOUS THIS FORUM IS !! ;D ;D
 What do you think ???

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 06:18 AM »
Chicken garlic is a popular dish, is that what you mean?

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 07:49 AM »
Hi All,

If, as many of you now seem convinced, that it is the oil that is giving "that taste" then surely rather than cooking oil over and over which may be risky health wise we can devise an oil which has had the neccessary spices/ingredients cooked in it once to impart the flavor, so tht we have the taste in a bottle so to speak.  Things would then be less hit & miss and less risky health wise.  I have seen restaurant style cookery classes advertised on the web, and the lady who does them says that one of the main secrets to achieving the taste is what she calls the spiced oil.  JUST A THOUGHT.

Cheers all,

Blondie

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 08:06 AM »
hi, Blondie
please see this link it is by curryqueen  ( it is in the oil and the technique used  i think ).
in the second reply ,i gave a recipe for this spiced oil.
please come back and tell me what do you think of it ?
thanks
ghanna

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 09:20 AM »
hi ,DARTHPHALL
today sir i am going to try the vindallo recipe but i am 100% it is going to be spot on, the method of mixing together two onion gravies sound very professional .this is how they do it in first class restaurants.
i will report later.
thanks
ghanna

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Hi again today i tasted yesterday`s experiment(cooking the oil for 20 min on high/medium heat) its soooooooo sweeet .I cannot believe it !! its as though i`d put several spoons of sugar in. so using oil over & over is against health & safety but heating it up once & cooking it ain't so the sweetness is i`m sure is this(well that what happened in my home) .It really is too sweet, witch is a huge indicator for us about achieving sweetness without adding " secret ingredient X". Would someone try it to confirm i`m not a babbling imbecile ! the taste however was right but for the sweetness & the smell close but not right(probably because of cooking the oil changed its properties & smell ect..) so i believe i need to experiment with cooking oil for smaller amount of time & another thing i could actually taste the browned onions. It seems obvious that the oil cooked in this way has enhanced all the flavor's in the curry (there are several references to flaming the pan to get "the taste") see how this is all falling into place .i think i`m going to go back & change the time cooking the oil & only cooking onions till golden as i browned them to get more sweetness but now find out i can achieve it with the oil instead.Anyone got any thoughts .Ain't this exciting !! ;D ;D ;D

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 03:14 PM »
hi, Darthphall
i made the vindallo today , really it is very very nice .i followed your instruction to the word.
though ,it is very hot. but i think i will manage.
i will keep some for tomorrow to see how the taste will  change
waiting fr the lasan chicken recipe.
thanks
ghanna

©2024 Curry Recipes