Author Topic: Precooked lamb  (Read 16084 times)

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Precooked lamb
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the answers CK and JerryM,

I already did the recipe adding some salt at the beginning of the boiling stage, just after sealing the meat and adding the water. The meat turned out not that tender, but I will keep this recipe to precook lamb anyway as the flavour was perfect and I suppose the tenderness can be improved next time by leaving the meat longer and being more cautious about the sealing (and maybe leaving the salt out??). I ended trying Curry King Bhuna. Excellent, I will reduce the amount of onions next time and some other little changes to adjust it to my taste  ;D

Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Malacara - many thanks going to have to try it and of course the bhuna.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42 PM »
I have tried this recipe twice now, once using leg steaks and once using rump. Both times the lamb has come out very tender indeed. As far as pre-cooked lamb goes, this is it for me. I see that others have had their lamb not come out as tender as I have though. My advice is follow the recipe closely, as this is what I did and it really works a treat! Thanks very much CK, another great recipe - who would expect less mate! ;)

Offline merlin11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 02:41 PM »
i have used this recipe often now and it is very soft and tender.  :)

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 04:44 PM »
To ensure that it's really tender it is essential that you cook the lamb such that the liquid is barely boiling. just a small bubble every now and again. This keeps the bulk of the liquid below boiling point which is vital to keep the meat tender when quick cooking.

A double saucepan would be ideal.

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 01:12 PM »
I want to use this methoed later to cook some lamb but i dont have any cassia bark, would it make a difference if i left it out or is there anythin i can use as an alternative?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I want to use this methoed later to cook some lamb but i dont have any cassia bark, would it make a difference if i left it out

Not much. You might even find it preferential

or is there anythin i can use as an alternative?

Yes, preferably cinnamon stick or, otherwise, Asian bay leaves (not English bay leaves)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Hi Curry King
You say this is about right for 4 leg steaks or neck fillets, but you usually cook only two. Do you just halve the amount of spices. I know this may be obvious, but as a newbie, I want to get this right.

Offline pamela

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24 PM »
Hi,

I already did the recipe adding some salt at the beginning of the boiling stage, just after sealing the meat and adding the water.
I have tried this recipe twice now, once using leg steaks and once using rump. Both times the lamb has come out very tender indeed. As far as pre-cooked lamb goes, this is it for me.
This keeps the bulk of the liquid below boiling point which is vital to keep the meat tender when quick cooking.

Thanks.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01 PM »
I've tried this and other methods but I have to say I'm getting mixed results from it. Ofen the meat is yes 'tender' but its not like many of my takeaways.

I have a 2 inch slice of Lamb with the bone that my great butcher prepared for me. I'm going to prepare a rub from spices that I will use. Seal it in a hot pan then transfer it to the over just like you would a joint of meat.

Using water the fat on the meat itself vanishes and has no chance to impact the meat with its own flavours and juices. You remember how you get a small piece of fat on you meat every now and again but it almost melts in your mouth right? So does a joint in the oven so I'm going to try that this week.

©2024 Curry Recipes