Author Topic: Chatted to the owner/chef of my takeaway last night  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chatted to the owner/chef of my takeaway last night
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 07:20 PM »
In a small takeaway on a busy night with 10 to 15 orders i just can not see the curry man scooping off the oil and chucking it back in the curry gravy pot....no way....no chance....not gunna happen :D

And yet, that's exactly what some people on this forum have either seen the chef do or been told that the chef does. I don't know what to believe now.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Hi yellow fingers, that is exactly what I am doing and tonight I have a vindaloo, dupiaza and a tarka dhal sitting in my kitchen waiting for me to eat.  It smells an tastes exactly like an an Indian restaurant or take away!!!  The OIL is the factor here and it has been used and then put back into the gravy.  When making a curry scoop oil from top of gravy to start your curry.   You will need to make several curries and put back oil before it starts emulating that smell/aroma.  It's so simple!  You don't need to look any further just try it.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 06:24 AM »
incidentally instead of tomato paste at this restaurant they used a blend of tandoori paste and tomato paste
This is very interesting, we have heard before of restaurants adding a small amount of tandoori paste or marinade in all curries to enhance the flavour, do you know what the ratio was paul?

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 09:48 AM »
hi,all
back to ghee
ghee is a clarified butter that all the water was driven out from it,as well the milk solids removed after the sugar in them was caramelized.
it smells like caramel, or maple ,or like the French call caramelized hazelnut,or some times with a hint of fenugreek or walnuts.
actually the French people used a lot of it  in their cooking and baking , believe me its taste is out of this world.
Scotch shortbread   that all of us adore is made with clarified butter.
i went out today and bought two buckets of ghee one of them is vegtable and the other is butter ghee, i bought them from an Indian store.
guess what ,both of them are awful, stinks, smells really bad . i don't know how some one can but this in their food , it is actually rancid butter ,or butter passed its expire date .
please don't judge true butter ghee as you judge the store bought one,it is something totally different.
please don't buy any more of this awful things insist on the origanal stuff ,if all of us but some pressure like that on the stores they will be forced to sell the real stuff.

i hope that i solved this miss understanding.
thanks
ghanna

Offline PACMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 06:00 PM »
ghanna,
i have heard some vegetable ghees smell awful but the sort i have bought made by kyber is totally odourless
and is what they use in my local restaurant.  I always use this stuff and have never had any problems. I have also heard asda do a veg. ghee in some parts of the country and this is definitely one to avoid. incidentally the kyber veg. ghee is cholesterol free.

paul

Keith

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 06:58 PM »
asda is where i bought my veg ghee . it does stink  :-\. i'll need to try the other one you suggest
Keith

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 10:08 AM »
hi,Packman
i will try  Kyber version.
thank you
ghanna

©2024 Curry Recipes