Author Topic: Curry Base Recipe (posted by topconker)  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curry Base Recipe (posted by topconker)
« on: August 07, 2007, 08:20 AM »
(posted by topconker and moved to here by CA)

Hi guys,
thought you'd be interested in the pasted recipe I've just found on another, (non curry ), cookery site.
As it's completely seperate from this site, and is very close with it's ingredients, and method  it certainly does look like we have at last a very real copy of what everyone has been searching for.
Anyway, here it is ;-

For the gravy
3 onions
1 whole head of garlic
Same amount fresh peeled ginger
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon tumeric
? teaspoon paprika

Thinly slice 3 onions, place in a saucepan and cover with about 1cm water, bring to the boil then simmer for 30-40 mins.
Meanwhile, peel the cloves from an entire head of garlic, and place in a blender, then add approximately the same amount of peeled fresh ginger.
When the onions are cooked, add to the blender along with a tablespoon of tomato puree, a tsp of tumeric and 1/2 tsp paprika. Blend for about two minutes until entirely smooth. Return to the pan and simmer for about 15 mins. At this stage the sauce can be refridgerated or frozen for later use if you wish.

For the curry
4 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon tumeric
Pepper and /or onion to taste
1 tablespoon garam masala
? - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
? ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon salt

Cut 4 chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
Add about 2 tbsp vegetable oil to a frying pan on a medium heat, then add about 2 tbsp of the curry sauce (it will spit!) and cook briefly until it starts to darken.
Then add the chicken breast and 1 tsp tumeric, and fry for a couple of minutes until the meat is sealed.
At this stage, add vegetables of your choice such as pepper and onion, and stir-fry until softened.
Then stir in 1 tbsp garam masala, 1/2-1tsp ground cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it), 2 tsp ground cumin and 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek (I've left this out before and it's fine), and 1 tsp salt.
Add the curry sauce and bring to simmering point, then add a large handful of fresh, chopped coriander.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with steamed white rice, with more coriander sprinkled over.
This tastes better if you allow the flavours to develop overnight. I've also found that you sometimes need to add more cumin or garam masala depending on the quality and freshness of the spices you use.

Let me know what you think,
TC

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Base Recipe (posted by topconker)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:23 AM »
Hi TC,

Thanks for the recipe TC.  Please could you let us know what the "?"s represent (fractions and inverted commas don't copy and paste over from Word)

Thanks,  8)

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Base Recipe (posted by topconker)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Hi CA,
The ? stands for half, as in half to one teaspoon cayenne pepper and half teaspoon ground fenugreek.

Printed below is a copy and paste of the original message from the site:

Re: An amazing curry recipe.
05 Aug 2007 08:38
This curry recipe was shown to me by a friend of mine who's a chef in an indian takeaway restaurant. Anyone who enjoys indian takeaways should try it, it tastes just the same, only better!

For 4 people:-

Thinly slice 3 onions, place in a saucepan and cover with about 1cm water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 30-40 mins.

Meanwhile, peel the cloves from an entire head of garlic, and place in a blender, then add approximately the same amount of peeled fresh ginger.

When the onions are cooked, add to the blender along with a tbsp of tomato puree, a tsp of tumeric and 1/2 tsp paprika. Blend for about two minutes until entirely smooth. Return to the pan and simmer for about 15 mins. At this stage the sauce can be refridgerated or frozen for later use if you wish.

Cut 4 chicken breasts into bite-sized pieced. Add about 2 tbsp vegetable oil to a frying pan on a medium heat, then add about 2 tbsp of the curry sauce (it will spit!) and cook briefly until it starts to darken. Then add the chicken breast and 1 tsp tumeric, and fry for a couple of minutes until the meat is sealed. At this stage, add vegetables of your choice such as pepper and onion, and stir-fry until softened. Then stir in 1 tbsp garam masala, 1/2-1tsp ground cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it), 2 tsp ground cumin and 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek (I've left this out before and it's fine), and 1 tsp salt.
Add the curry sauce and bring to simmering point, then add a large handful of fresh, chopped coriander. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve with steamed white rice, with more coriander sprinkled over.

This tastes better if you allow the flavours to develop overnight. I've also found that you sometimes need to add more cumin or garam masala depending on the quality and freshness of the spices you use.

TC

©2024 Curry Recipes