Author Topic: Chippy's Base sauce  (Read 4326 times)

chipfryer

Chippy's Base sauce
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Ingredients

5 large Onions
1 Green pepper
1 Large Carrot
1 Large Parsnip ***
8 green chilies
3 pcs celery (I forgot that)
1/2 Tin crushed tomatoes - (No herbs)
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Coffee mug of Vegetable oil.
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
Either 1/2 bunch of FRESH Fenugreek (Preferred) or a good palm-full of dried fenugreek
750 ml of water. (Slightly more if needed?)

Chop everything up and boil for 30 minutes.
While this is boiling you can get these spices together

**** Heaped tablespoon measurements

2 dsp turmeric
1 dsp chili powder (Optional - I didn't use it)
1 dsp ground coriander
1 dsp cumin
1 dsp garam masala
5 Black Cardamoms (Let these sit on top of the pot - DO NOT GRIND WITH MIXTURE

Add this list to the hot stock and simmer for about 30 mins or until all veg is very soft.

=================================================

** This is based on a recipe here though sadly I've lost my bookmark for it. I did use PARSNIPS this time and the effect is wonderful! I hate bland stuff and much of what I've tried is slightly bland for me. I know you add other things on top but as Emeril says taste is in layers and I know no one who cooks better stews and Gumbo's than him.

The end product is slightly fruity in aroma, not too strong at all and fully eatable as it is should you have people who hate heat in the house.

Now that I have something that I can eat straight from the pan as it were I am looking for completed main meals to add this too that more people than one have tried. Can anyone point me there please?

COOKING NOTES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

1. FRESH FENUGREEK A MUST - Best results using this
2. My oil did not separate either? - It's not an oily dish at all.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:24 AM by chipfryer »

chipfryer

Re: Chippy's Base sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:31 PM »
I just tried Natco's base sauce. There is a thread around here somewhere? This sauce (Mine - adapted) even in its frozen state smells very good. A few on here have commented on what my method is? Traditional or BIR? Is there s difference other than oil?

Every spice is more tart than it is mellow when added to a hot pan. I think my first bombastic post mentioned this. The base in my view therefore must be mellow and fruity.

Salt will kill you unless in the sun, Chili just covers up what ever lurks beneath, good or bad. If I were to describe this new base it would be malty and obviously veg based and full of aroma.

I've tried 8 bases so far and about 4 made the mark as regards taste according to instructions provided. I never cook meat in a test sauce because if the sauce is not good why bother adding meat to it? I'm not a cook but this makes practical sense to me.

An Indian friend. (I've had many of them). Said his mother cooked Turnips in the sauce to add body. Why not then the common Parsnip? I'm not saying this is it or that but again the sauce has to be eatable prior to putting it with anything you intend to cook.

I remember large stinking pots of sauce being prepared in some of my friends homes. Too big for a family meal. It looked like everything was in it too. LOTS of water.

Don't try this at home yet. It's not THE product. It's one of them and that is a thing I think we should all get a grasp of. 

©2024 Curry Recipes