Author Topic: Tomato paste  (Read 4693 times)

chipfryer

Tomato paste
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Don't know about you guys but I've found that opening a few tins and then squeezing them into a small freezer bag preserves it very well.

Also when you need it? This can be broken off in chunks. Not perfect but it sure as heck saves a lot of paste. Saves space too as opposed to the ice cube tray method and stops other aroma elements from tarting with the paste.

Best.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato paste
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:36 PM »
I prefer the ice cube method it's really convenient and I always put the tray in a freezer bag so there's no real cross contamination.

chipfryer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:35 PM »
I've found a method that works wonderfully!  ;D

Open a few tins and get a freezer bag. Place the contents of the tins inside the freezer bag then seal it.

After you have sealed it flatten it with the contents still inside. From here you can freeze it then break lumps off as you need it with relatively little waste. Nothing is perfect but the ice cube tray method really sucks. (Sorry Santa no offence). This works best I've found.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18 AM »
That's not a bad idea chipfryer, i might try that.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:11 PM »
I do something similar for garlic, ginger and coriander CF....I chop it up and freeze it in sealable freezer/sandwich bags.  I then hack off what I need when I need it  :P

chipfryer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:46 PM »
It's not perfect however. Like others I got so miffed at throwing it away. It happened by accident a bit like me  ::)

Bestest.

That's not a bad idea chipfryer, i might try that.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14 PM »
This is an old thread but i hope people arent still freezing everything. I just read CA's post and was shocked at the freezing of ginger, garlic, coriander and tomato puree! Poor veg, what have they ever done to you?

Im sure habits have now changed but i wanted to add a comment for any newbies:
Freezing alters ingredients, it doesnt suspend them in the same state. Anything other than industrial freezers arent freezing the ingredients fully. Apparantly you need to get to about -80c to do that. This is why frozen goods have a shelf life.
Just compare a frozen base sauce to a fresh one - there you have the evidence.
Can people really not get hold of ginger, garlic and tomato puree easily??
Restaurants dont freeze them in portions do they?
You dont need a specific brand of tomato puree, that's crazy talk! A sign of curry-forum-madness. White tower is probably chosen because of the quantity and price. It's the same as supermarket stuff.
Restaurants dont exactly buy good quality ingredients do they? Veg out the boot of a car, preground spices in enormous quantities, precooked atlantic prawns, long life cream, frozen meat, lemon juice in a bottle...
Think about it! That's why a main course can cost under ?4

Anyway, i know telling you to not freeze your base sauce will give you a headache. So if you're happy with your results ignore everything i've said. However if you still think some magic is missing from your curries my tip is to make a big batch of curries at a time, or cook some more the next day or two, as the base can be kept on the stove or in the fridge.
You can then freeze the finished curries (once cooled and then chilled in the fridge) and they will behave themselves better. Frozen base sauce always dissapointed me.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Tomato paste has a fridge life too doesn't it? I freeze my paste I've not noticed any difference frankly except for added moisture.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54 AM »
This is an old thread but i hope people arent still freezing everything. I just read CA's post and was shocked at the freezing of ginger, garlic, coriander and tomato puree!

From a purist's point of view (and a BIR point of view), you're absolutely correct in your assertions.  I admit that, if I was going to make my very best curry, I would use unfrozen ingredients.

However, for me, freezing is simply a matter of economy, convenience and expedience. 

I haven't noticed a discernible difference between using these freshly prepared ingredients (i.e. tomato paste, garlic paste, ginger paste) and frozen ingredients.  Similarly, I have not noticed any discernible difference between using freshly prepared (or refridgerated) curry base and frozen, defrosted and reheated curry base that has been frozen for a few weeks.  Granted, the texture does change somewhat.  But, to me, it smells and tastes the same and produces the same end result.

Frozen coriander is, at best, an acceptable option to using fresh, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:35 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I know that major food companies were tested sometime back for just this purpose. Quality and taste. The result was that there was no significant change in frozen food as regards either.

However....

I do agree that fresh is best of course and you simply cannot expect people to make a whole bunch of stuff to throw 90% of it away owing to a Chef's nose. Frozen ginger does work but again you'll have water in there when it is thawed.

I don't freeze tatties. I know some who say they have but its never worked for me. The water build up destroys them when thawed or perhaps I did something wrong when storing them? In any case I don't do that, I cook fresh if needed?

You can be sure that I'm not a rich person at all and anything that I can save will be saved for another day. Again I've not noticed any change in food quality or taste excepting potatoes when taken from the freezer.

Cooking on the fly is rewarding and tastes better but does it REALLY taste better, how would you know compared to another person? ;D

I freeze my restaurant food too. If there were a noticeable change I'm sure I'd find it there but I haven't so far in many years.

I think CA said it better than me. It's about economics and the fact at least in my case. I don't own a restaurant and it would be folly of me to treat my house like one too.

Best regards.

©2024 Curry Recipes