Author Topic: Experienced members base sauce of choice  (Read 89682 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Experienced members base sauce of choice
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:31 PM »
Having reached the end of my batch of "Admins new base sauce" I'm left with the huge dilemma of what to try next! I've had the Rajver base recommended by a very experienced member but having read darthphalls base, I think I'd quite like to try that as well (due to the fact that it is quite different and highly rated). A Base sauce will last me a fortnight and dictate the quality of the curries I produce, so I want to choose the right one.

What I'd like to know, is what base sauces do our more experienced members actually use time and time again? Also, considering my last choice of sauce, what base is the next logical step for the evolution of my curries?

Thanks for all your help,

Kind Regards,

BB  8)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:18 AM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced members base sauce of choice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12 PM »
Hi Rob,

I always go back to my trusty base every now and again:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

Although I would say Garys Rayver base is easily as good if not better.

cK

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:44 PM »
What i'd like to know, is what base sauces do our more experienced members actually use time and time again?

MarkJ's base.

Darth's base must also rate as a 'must try'.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:13 PM »
I know I'll get berated for it but try Kris Dhillon's base, just make sure you fry the garlic and ginger, but otherwise follow the recipe exactly. It really is difficult to recommend a base on it's own because you really can't mix and match bases and recipes. Well, you can, but you just aren't assured of the outcome. You will almost certainly always produce an edible BIR style curry, but to get the best you have to match a base with a particular recipe.

You don't believe me? Well think on this. I make bases, some without ginger and tomato, and some with copious ginger and tomato. Can you tell me logically that you could use both of those bases with the same curry recipe and still make a decent curry?

Offline fumble

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:53 PM »
You don't believe me? Well think on this. I make bases, some without ginger and tomato, and some with copious ginger and tomato. Can you tell me logically that you could use both of those bases with the same curry recipe and still make a decent curry?

I'd agree, the level of spices in a base has to be matched to the main recipe or its not going to work. For example Admin's base is strongly spiced and you need very little in the main recipe. The KD base has very little spice in it and so the main recipe needs a lot more.

Last time I made the KD base I boiled the garlic/ginger and onions like in the book. Boiling garlic is a guaranteed way to make everyone leave your house and/or open all the windows! Fry it and add it after boiling the onions!

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Got to be Darth's base for me, subtle, sweet and good for any curry.
Yeah I know its a lot of volume, but never had a bad one using it as a base for anything.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:18 PM »
I have by no means tried them all, but of those I have tried, I'd recommend:

Ifindforu's:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=923.msg8159#msg8159

Darth's:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1808.msg15794#msg15794

In that order.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:45 PM »
I know I'll get berated for it but try Kris Dhillon's base

That name rings a bell. Is that the author of "The Curry Secret"? That's the first curry book I ever bought!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Yes, that's the one Bobby  :)

Used to be able to get a copy on the download section here too....don't know if you still can?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:01 PM »
The responses to the ifindforyou base look very very encouraging. I see it mentioned that it offers that pre 1990 flavour that seems so sought after by many members. I'm really glad that I posted this thread because I have been given so much inspiration for my next dish! Much appreciated  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes