Author Topic: Experienced members base sauce of choice  (Read 90431 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced members base sauce of choice
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2011, 11:52 AM »
was making another batch so took a before roasting pic.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57 PM »
At the moment, great results with Jb base, possibly the best I have had.
Think I may experiment with a new base at weekend though

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12 PM »
I use the Zaal base with 3.2kg of onions with a few tweaks of JB's base (40g creamed coconut block and some garlic tarka added before the blend ) Great results and feedback from all who(DEMAND) have my curry  :o

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2019, 04:16 PM »
I use Adey Paynes base its in about 3 0r 4 parts on youtube, i dont know if was his creation or handed down to him but i think its a good base.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Back in the good old days when CA was still a worthwhile contributor the forum, he wrote the following :

I'd agree, the level of spices in a base has to be matched to the main recipe or its not going to work. For example Admin's base is strongly spiced and you need very little in the main recipe. The KD base has very little spice in it and so the main recipe needs a lot more.

But I think Admin's base wasn't really a base, originally, it was the final curry sauce for a lamb and spinach curry (and hence the substantial spicing)?

To my mind, any "decent" curry base should be very mildly spiced to allow maximum versatility in cooking the whole gambit of curries from Korma to Phal.

Essentially, therefore, a "decent" curry base is much of a muchness. 

It boils down (excuse the pun!  :P) to loads of onions, usually some tomatoes (of some sort), some garlic, minimal spicing and maybe a little ginger.....with variations involving one or two other ingredients in minimal quantities.  This is why I maintain that most "decent" curry base can be used with most main recipes.

Of course, if a "curry base" deviates significantly from this norm (and some do) then main course recipes will have to reflect it. 

I would agree with everything he said.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:21 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes