Author Topic: Can you "Mix and Match" Curry Bases and Main Recipes?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Can you "Mix and Match" Curry Bases and Main Recipes?
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:06 AM »
The general opinion seems to be that "you can't mix and match curry bases with main recipes". 

I thought it might be useful to explore this a little since it clearly has a fundamental bearing on the content and structure of this forum.   Currently, we have very few main curry recipes matched to specific curry bases.  IF the opinion is true, then we really should take note of what some people say about changing this forum.

I believe the opinion IS true if the curry base differs markedly from the "norm"  i.e. it is heavily spiced (or otherwise "unbalanced"), whereupon it begins to resemble a final curry sauce (or "gravy") and not a typical curry "base".   There are several posted on this forum, for sure, and we should probably identify which they are.  To my mind, they are ATYPICAL curry bases and should be identified as such.

However, I believe that it is NOT true, provided that the curry base is a "typical" mildly spiced, carefully balanced, fairly bland, versatile, concoction that it ought to be.  It is a BASE because it needs to be sufficiently versatile to produce a wide range of curries from the very mild (e.g. korma) to the very hot (e.g. phal).

Yes, obviously BIRs will not mix and match curry bases and main recipes.  It's clearly nonsensical for them to do so.  Like us, the chef will have his favourite recipes, for both, and is likely to stick with them.  He is also likely to guard the subtle difference with a vengeance (the so called "secrets").

Let's face it, a "typical" curry base would (should) basically contain something like the following:

• Heaps of onions (maybe 95% + of the total?)
  • Probably quite a bit of garlic
  • Possibly some tomatoes (in some form)
  • Possibly a little ginger
  • Possibly some other vegetables (carrots, potatoes, etc?.often as a cheap "filler" and for "texture" as much as for flavour)
  • Heaps of oil (most likely vegetable oil or similar)
  • Obviously Heaps of water (or stock)
  • A LIMITED quantity of spices (not hot!)

Remember, a curry base is supposed to mildly spiced and versatile; it has to produce a range of dishes.  It is a "BASE" for a good reason! 

Provided the quantities of these ingredients are "moderate" and "balanced" I cannot see how it would significantly influence the main recipe and ingredients? 

Yes, if you use heaps of garlic, ginger or tomatoes in the curry base you obviously might use less, or none, in the main recipe. 

Yes, if the curry base has a significant amount of a particular spice in it (e.g. chilli), you obviously might use less in the main recipe.  BUT a curry base should be mildly spiced!

This is just common sense surely?

What do others think?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:43 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can you "Mix and Match" Curry Bases and Main Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:47 AM »
Totally agree!

In fact a true curry base gravy should not even taste like curry - it's that mild. :-\

As you say, the gravy can then be used for all types - from the mildest to the strongest.

The individual main spices are added at the second cooking phase to give the particular taste required. This cannot possibly produce the required results if the gravy was overspiced to begin with. ???

Regards
SNS

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I agree with this.
When i was travelling around the world i got chatting with a curry house owner in New Zealand and asked about the base they used.

They basically had a white coloured onion/garlic/Ginger base, the final colouring for the dish comes simply from the addition of spice at the cooking stage.
Darker = more chili, more tomato paste and more paprika.

Tasty curry as well

Stew 8)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:20 PM »
Cooked for the family tonight (4 of us) using jimmyja base sauce. Nothing spectacular, just a basic chicken curry. Mild for wife/daughter, hotter for me and the boy. Started by frying some onion puree with a little garlic puree, and then just followed KD`s chicken curry recipe. The only difference between the two sets of dishes, was the amount of chili powder. Also, I added a tsp of tomato puree to the onion/garlic mix in the hotter curry. The result was a darker curry, with a totally different taste to the mild one. I would say that confirms your point CA.  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes